July 1 (Afternoon)

"You must be starving," The first stop was the pizza parlour on the boardwalk.

"You must be part psychic," I replied.

I'd had this pizza so many times in the past, I couldn't even count. It was the local place all of us went to, but I hadn't been since Nicky had passed. Surprisingly, we were the only two in the whole place today. I think the server was actually relieved to have something to do.

"They make really good pizza here," Nate said as if he had discovered the place and I had never lived in this town my whole life.

"I know..." I just smiled. "What kind of pizza do you like?"

"Anything. It's your birthday. I'm not picky."

I ordered the deluxe – pepperoni, mushrooms, bacon, onions and green peppers.

"Great choice," Nate commented after I placed the order. "Most girls I take for pizza get just pepperoni or just cheese," Nate said after his first bite.

"Most girls, huh? Is this a thing you do on the regular? How many girls have you bought pizza for, Thor?" I asked.

"Thor," he laughed. "Like I haven't heard that one before."

"You didn't answer the question," I replied.

"Well... let's see. How many girls in this town or in general?"

My eyes went wide. "I want to know both, you man-whore!"

He laughed and the corners of his eyes crinkled. I noticed a small scar above his right eyebrow where the hair left a small gap.

"Oh, I don't know, how many," he replied but he had a devilish grin that told me he probably did know. "In this town, you're the first."

I smiled and savoured the pizza. It was extra delicious going into my empty stomach.

"Can I tell you a secret?" I asked. I don't know what compelled me to offer him any inside knowledge. Maybe it was because the guy had just bought me a fresh pizza on my birthday.

"I love secrets," Nate leaned forward, resting his chin in his hands.

"This morning I registered for a weightlifting competition. I don't know why I did it, but the deadline was today and I just did it, like a robot. I logged on my computer and registered... it's Regional Championships. And I'm terrified because I haven't been preparing at all. I've just been half easing back into my workouts and I haven't even been consistent with it but I feel like I need to do this. Does that sound strange?"

"You should do it! You're really good. Even for someone who is broken."

"But, I haven't practiced any lifts all summer. There's only two months until the competition."

"Eight weeks is enough time. You've done this before. And maybe it's not about winning. Maybe this is just what you need to start to feel like yourself again."

"Maybe."

"Speaking of secrets, I have somewhere I want to bring you," Nate slid out from the booth and threw some bills onto the table.

"Is this where you lead me to some secluded area and murder me?"

"God, you're so dark sometimes," Nate shook his head and led the way out into the sunlight. "Learn to lighten up, will you?"

I followed him toward the boardwalk and beach.