July 12

I woke up with the warmth of the summer sun falling on my face. With Nate away on another three-day road trip, I had a few days to rest completely. Aside from when I looked at my phone, I hadn't experienced any headaches or dizziness.

Yesterday I had gone out to the shed and done some light rowing and easy weights, just to test my limits. It was only a few weeks until the competition and I really wanted to do my best. This competition was for Nicky.

Last night I had told my dad that I had intended to try a full training workout today. He only mildly argued with me but when he saw how determined I was to do it, he gave in easily with the stipulation that if I felt any kind of pain or dizziness, that the training session would end.

I swung my legs out of the bed humming a little tune. Nate would be back from the road trip this afternoon. It felt like ages since I had kissed him rather than just a few days, but I did know I couldn't wait to do it again.

I showered, got dressed and made my way to the kitchen to eat a good breakfast. The last thing I wanted on my first full day of training was to be hungry.

I looked outside to see my dad putting the lawnmower away at the back of the shed and pulling out the rowing machine. It seemed he was exciting for training today as I was. Nothing was going to ruin this day.

"Great work today, kiddo," my dad gave me a light clap on the back. I made it through my training session without a hitch. Everything in my movements felt good. There was no nerve pain, and my muscles felt ready for movement. "What do you say I take you to the boardwalk for a bite to eat?"

"Sounds great." 

Having lunch together would give dad and I the chance to talk. If we were going to heal from the losses we both experienced and to heal our relationship with each other, there was no time better than today.

I washed up and we headed to one of the cafes that lined the strip along the beach boardwalk. One of the favourite places we used to visit was called Whittemore's. It had a very eclectic appeal, with seafoam green walls, reclaimed wood tables and artwork made from things that had washed up from the ocean on our beach.

 It had a very eclectic appeal, with seafoam green walls, reclaimed wood tables and artwork made from things that had washed up from the ocean on our beach

"Well, long time, no see," Mae, the owner of the café greeted us at the door. She wore an apron that matched the wall colours and her long grey hair was pulled into a chic chignon.

Mae and her husband had been running his restaurant for as long as I could remember. We used to come here every week as a family for Sunday brunch.

"Glad to have you back," Mae motioned to a table near the front window. "I'll get you some menus."

Dad and I sat for a while in silence, eating and watching the Summer People on the beach.

"So, what have I missed all summer?"

I stared back. I wasn't sure what the proper answer was. On one hand, nothing had happened all summer. I worked at a bowling alley and moped around. One the other hand, I started to fall for the guy who was sleeping down the hall from me, I had a falling out with my friends and then made up with them, I was sexually assaulted... twice.