Epilepsy awareness short

A/N: I am a person with epilepsy and made this for people who also have epilepsy as well as to educate people who don't have epilepsy, but may be curious about the topic and/or have someone close to them with epilepsy. Please note that epilepsy and seizures isn't always like it is depicted in the media and just because a person with epilepsy may not have the "stereotypical epilepsy symptoms" doesn't mean they're faking it. Thank you!

The Maximov(a) family were just chilling and having dinner when Essie took out two blister packets and put them beside her daughter, who, rather than wearing pink, was wearing a purple nightdress with drawings of cute puppies all over it.

"Remember to take your medicine before you go upstairs, alright sweetheart?"

Melody smiled at her mom. "Okay, mamachka!"

Krus and Rsch watched as their great-granddaughter took one tablet each from the blister packet and popped them in her mouth before washing it down with water.

"Melody?" Melody turned to her great-grandfather.

"Yes, praded?"

"I have been meaning to ask you this ever since we first met you, but...if you don't mind me asking, why do you take medicine? Do you have a sickness? I'm deeply sorry if this offends you, I just-"

"It's okay, praded." Melody said with a smile, cutting Krus off. "Don't worry about it. Anyways, to answer your question; I have epilepsy."

"Are you alright?" Rsch asked.

"I'm okay. Also, epilepsy isn't always life-threatening and there are different kinds of epilepsy and different types of seizures; it's not just limited to one like how you and praded were taught in your time.

The kind of epilepsy I have is called childhood absence epilepsy, CAE for short, and the kind of seizures I have are called petit mal seizures, where someone zones out for 20 seconds or more before going back to what they were doing. CAE is usually outgrown and isn't gonna k!ll you like with other seizures. You just need to take medicine and ask your doctor what to do. It's not like that for all kinds of epilepsy, though."

"I see..." Krus muttered.

"Thanks for informing us of this, and sorry if we might have potentially offended you." Rsch apologized.

"It's okay, prababushka. You and praded lived in a time where things like these weren't taught much, so I'm not mad or offended."

Rsch smiled and gave her a brief hug. Melody then stood up and put her dish in the sink before turning to her mom.

"Can I have ice cream before I go upstairs?"

Essie smiled. "Of course. However, don't have any more ice cream, so we're going to have to go out and get some."

"I'll go out with Midget #2, Double Dutch [Bish]." Selever said. "I'll take her to Baskin Robbins and go to the grocery to get some after."

"Even if I know that you'll never listen, please watch your language, but thank you, Selever."

"No probs, sis."

Once Selever and Melody were out, Krus turned to his eldest granddaughter and smiled at her.

"While she does get some things from Rsch and most likely Persephone as well, given how she's more feared than Hades, she's still a sweet and kind girl. You did great in raising her, and you still do."

Essie smiled back at him. "Thank you, dedushka."

A/N: This is on the shorter side, but regardless, I hope you enjoyed and that you got more insight on epilepsy after reading this.

We love you (so please don't go) [EXTRA EDITION!!!]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें