CHAPTER 8: I Hear The Secrets That You Keep

The interaction between Y/N and William had kept her on her toes for the remainder of the day. It took courage, but she compelled herself to get herself up and off of the sidewalk and back into the restaurant to continue her shift. Though Robert had troubled her greatly, she knew she couldn't dwell on it forever.

To her surprise, upon entering the kitchen she was greeted once again by Scott and Melissa who were scrambling around the kitchen to prepare meals as the restaurant slowly filled to its normal pace of operation. Although they were occupied in their work, they still found the time to sympathize with Y/N. There was still no sign of William and Robert.

"Hey, Y/N." Melissa says, a sense of solace in her voice. She reaches up, anxiously playing with the giant red pin that read "FREDDY FAZBEAR'S" on the front of her apron. "How are you doing...?" She asks softly, lifting one hand from her pin and placing it behind Y/N's shoulder.

Y/N nods her head, and feigns a wide smile. "Oh, I'm fine now, thank you for asking." Y/N did not want to speak on the matter in all honesty. She just wanted to continue her work like an adult and completely avoid the topic entirely. She felt like a fool for allowing herself to get screamed at by Robert and William in front of Scott and Melissa. She was worried that their opinions of her that she had worked so hard to maintain had changed completely.

But, she did appreciate Melissa's consolation. She had felt that Melissa was always a good person since the very day they had met. More often than not, she felt the least judged by her.

"Robert is very... headstrong. He just has a certain way of doing things, but he had no right to lash out on you like that." Melissa lowers her hands, and exaggeratedly motions them in the air as she speaks of Robert.

Y/N pretends to laugh and folds her hands in front of her, looking to her feet. "No, no I get it. It's okay... hopefully he and I will reconcile about this someday." She raises her eyebrows for a moment, biting the inside of her cheek. "...and I definitely don't think it will be today."

Melissa nods in agreement. "Maybe tomorrow at the party, you two can have a little chat."

Party?

Y/N looks up from the ground with a muddled expression. "What party?" She asks immediately following Melissa's response. Melissa raises her eyebrows in shock, and lets out a soft gasp. "Oh my God, no one told you?!" She proclaims, turning to face Scott who is sliding a tray of pizza into the oven.

"Nobody told her?!" She repeats once again. Scott reaches up with one hand and wipes the sweat from his forehead before closing the oven door with the other.

"I thought she already knew about it." He stands in between Melissa and Y/N, listening to their conversation. "Did William bring anything up about the company party we're having tomorrow?" He asks. Scott appeared to be equally as dismayed as Melissa, but Y/N was telling the truth. She had no idea what either of them were talking about. But she was also confused as to why William didn't say anything to her about it. For all she knew, it was most likely due to the fact that she had been working there for such a short amount of time. But in a sense, she felt excluded from the rest of the group.

She shakes her head. "No, no one has said anything to me about it." Melissa and Scott exchange glances, almost as if they were deciding who was going to tell Y/N first. Before either of them can answer her question, the kitchen doors swing open, and the three of them are silently greeted by Robert and William.

Melissa and Scott immediately turn in the other direction, continuing their work as if neither of them were speaking to Y/N. She couldn't blame them though, because she was just as unwary of their appearances as well. Not knowing what to do, she follows Melissa and begins helping her prepare a pizza that she had been working on earlier.