Chapter 8 - Designation

Before I had realized it, the sun had set and risen again and I was blinking my eyes open in Matt's bed for the second time after all those years. He was still sound asleep. Lying next to me with his lips slightly parted, breathing steadily, his warm breath tickling the back of my neck. I took a deep breath, and gently pried myself out of his grasp, his arm falling off my body and onto the soft mattress below. I tensed up, tilting my head to see if he would wake up. But he only shifted his arm closer to him while furrowing his eyebrows and closing his mouth, relaxing again shortly and continuing to sleep.

After washing up and using the bathroom, I stood in front of one of the many large mirrors in his room, holding my odd new work uniform in front of my body.

"It's going to be fine, (Y/N).' I thought to myself, as I undressed in front of the mirror, staring at my new work uniform. I picked up a more comfortable bra than what I usually wear, not even knowing if my new job would entail any physical strain or not. Similarly, I opted for simple, light makeup, concealing my blemishes and drawing on a wing of eyeliner. Professional and presentable.

I brushed through my hair which barely even reached below my jawline and I pulled it up behind me. My soft jaw was not a feature of myself that I liked. Combined with my pudgy cheeks and my round face, 'pig' was a nickname I was unfortunately too familiar with all throughout middle school. I put the hair back down and brushed through it again. Just in case, tho, I wrapped a hair tie around my wrist to keep.

I threw my phone, my keys, and my wallet into a simple cross-body bag. With one final look back onto Matt sleeping on the bed, I was out the door, where another surprise had been awaiting me.

'A bike?' I mumbled, looking around. It had the same little Post-it note stuck to the handles as the box containing my uniform had yesterday. 'Transportation.. To keep your mind and body healthy'

I didn't need to guess who this was from. The bike was simple and black, quite modern but also quite bulky. it looked to be brand new. My hands felt the surface of the handles and the seat. 'Who keeps leaving these here?' I thought to myself, before giving the bike a more thorough look. I found that, like with the clothes, it didn't seem to be branded with any sort of logo or identifier. I grabbed it by the handles and took it out of the apartment building. Taking a deep breath of the air outside, which made me cough a bit. Not the cleanest air to be breathing.

I opened the map I was given on my phone, and looking over the route once again, to be sure I memorized it well, I hopped on the bike and was off. It took me about 10 minutes to arrive at my destination: an unassuming grey office building, which was quite disheveled from the outside, with a neat row of bikes in front and a couple of red cars parked in the parking zone to the left of it. It wasn't the fact that the building itself looked strange. 

What was a bit strange, however, was the fact that it seemed to be in the middle of a very suburban-looking residential area. Shaking off all the strange vibes I was getting, I parked my bike with the others and hesitantly stepped inside.

As I stepped inside, I was met with a very average-looking reception office, not unlike many others. There seemed to be an effort put out by whoever was running all of this, to keep everything as generic and unrecognizable as possible. The walls were a light grey, not too dissimilar to the outside colour of the building, and the floors covered in matte dark grey concrete tiles. I made my way to the front desk and looked over it. I saw a short petite woman sitting by a computer with a focused expression on her face as her fingers swiftly clicked the keys on her keyboard. Sensing my presence with a slight nervous jump, she looked up at me and exhaled a sigh.

'(L/N)(Y/N)' she spoke plainly before I had the chance to do anything, to which I nodded. She pressed a button on her desk and proceeded to get back to her work, without saying anything else.