Chapter 5: A Friend Lost In Another Timeline

You woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat and gasping. You put your hand on your chest, trying to calm your breathing.
"It was just a dream. It wasn't real," You repeat to yourself. As you gained some needed comfort from yourself, you opened your curtains and gazed upon the beautiful glowing stars. You missed the stars.

You suddenly feel a sharp pain in your chest as you try to remember your dream. It seems your memory has failed you. Punching your head whilst trying to remember the details, you suddenly realise something. You've been forgetting something; something very important. But, what? What? WHAT?! Something that wasn't the dream. You gently tug on your onesie, breathing a sigh of retreat.
"It doesn't matter," You mutter to yourself, too tired to bother anymore.
"There's no point in worrying about something so silly. I'm probably just tired,"
The night dragged on and so did your thoughts. Everything felt ever so slow, it was driving you mad. The only things you could hear besides your rattling head, was the faint dripping of the kitchen tap, and a very quiet snore and mumble from Sans's room. You were desperate for any distraction. Then, it suddenly hit you. Something new was in your tiny cupboard next to your bed. Rushing over to it, you almost slammed your head on the top of the cupboard but stopped yourself just in time before the impact. You carefully start looking through the different compartments, throwing everything small and unneeded out of the way from your grasp. Something touched your finger ever so lightly. You scooped it up slowly, and to your surprise, it was a necklace; a cherry red determination heart necklace.

A tiny note falls from behind the necklace, barely big enough to be picked up again. Squinting your eyes, you impatiently read the letter. You weren't the biggest fan of reading long sentences. It read,
"To my little buddy, Frisk. Thank you for the adventure," The rest of it is cut off and smudged. There seems to be an ending part of the note, something that was probabaly and ending phrase. Upon searching for the name, you noticed something very strange: the name was glitched out, dripping with a black liquid that smelt like cherries. Scented pen, perhaps? No...It's too fresh. Panic started to overtake you.
"SANS!" You screeched out, tears welling in your eyes. You didn't know how to handle this. Your nine year old mind was terrified at the thought of a possible stranger breaking into the house and writing the strange note.

After Sans calmed you down and tucked you back into bed, you tried to actually get some sleep. You held the necklace and note tightly in your palm. You felt like maybe it was important after all. A certain magical tingle of kindness kept it in your palm. As the night continued and the sun began to wake up, you felt yourself finally rest into a deep peaceful sleep.

You awoke in an odd empty place. There was nothingness upon nothingness, stretching upon more nothingness. As you staggered to your feet, you rubbed your eyes tiredly.
"What in the world?" You muttered to yourself. What a strange place. There was literally nothing. Not even dust. Just pure whiteness. You flinched as you heard some footsteps slowly approach you from behind.
"Frisk? I-Is that you?" A soft voice asked.
"Huh?" You quickly turn to look behind you, only to be hit with the realisation that no body is there. You instinctively start running away, as you do the nothingness collapses on you like a dilapidated building. White stones fall on your head as your feet speed up. Tripping on the debris, you realise an impending slab of stone heading your way. You consider your options, try to think of new ideas, but nothing would fix this in time. You close your eyes tightly and wait for the impact.