Chapter 3: Clouds and Haloes

The Greater Good...

To say Updike has had a good week would be an understatement. Not only has he been on the road to cracking one of the few paranormal cases that has left him stumped, he has been making astounding progress on it as well. Two big developments, a suspect on just who or what this thing is, and some little things as well.

Yes, some employees have reported tiny energy surges and seeing abnormalities in their suspect with their own eyes. At this point, it's just a matter of waiting for their suspect to cause a large energy surge within the ocular vicinity of an agent.

Updike was currently busy with file work, having to sort some papers by subject and chronological order. He was currently working on the file for Entity-18142011 and this is the reports he was sorting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Incident 8401-D

Prime suspect, Adam Hatsune, was spotted displaying an an unusual level of speed for an average human. Eyewitness account says that he was chasing after a bus, presumably after missing it. The recorded speed of the bus was 45mph. Sensors also indicated small amounts of unknown energy during the time of the event.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Incident 8401-E

A small surge of unknown energy was detected around 11:36 AM. People reported seeing a large tree being hurled into the sky around the same time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Incident 8401-F

Prime suspect, Adam Hatsune, was once again seen displaying a superhuman trait. Instead of speed, this time, it was durability. Me and another agent were on our lunch break when we saw Mr. Hatsune get clipped by a car. We rushed out to help him up and when we did he hadn't suffered so much as a bruise or scratch. He even said himself that it barely even hurt. A sensor also detected a small amount of unknown energy around this time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeah, at this point Gabriel was convinced that Adam was the entity they were looking for. However, it was still important to make sure that he was not a threat. Updike knew Adam to an extent; the kid had an amazing ability to get into trouble with other entities that he had his eye on, including Whitmore. He knew that Adam was far from a violent person, but he didn't want to find out the hard way if this apparent power he possessed changed that. He was determined to find out however, and decided to issue a new order to his men.

"Everyone, may I have your attention?"

The workers at the facility stopped and turned to the cloud-headed man awaiting their next order.

"To anyone who isn't preoccupied with another subject, I would like them to observe Mr. Adam Hatsune with their undivided interest. If he shows any signs of being a threat, report it to me immediately."

"Yes sir!"

Most workers went back to work but some began to pack their stuff and leave to watch Adam. Updike really didn't want to either subdue or kill Adam, he seemed like a nice boy. Unfortunately, he would have no other choice if the young man proved to be a threat, after all, it would be for the greater good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Illinois...

So things had been moving slower than expected for the Auditor. He had heard rumors of how hellish Ohio was, but he thought it was just an over exaggeration. It was not, in fact, it was worse than what the rumors made it out to be. The Auditor grumbled to himself in frustration as he thought about how much time that godforsaken state wasted. Even with his halo it was a pain to get through. This new energy source better be worth it or he might just destroy whatever backwater place it came from.

Putting his frustrations aside, Auditor was genuinely excited at the prospect of gaining a new tool for global dominance, even if he didn't show it. He hoped the source of the energy was an object so he could just kill the unfortunate soul who has it and snatch it for himself. It would be so much more annoying if the source was just a regular person since they had an annoying tendency to believe in "free will" and "not being a slave for The Auditor." Honestly, he would never get these lower life forms.

Eh, if it was a person he'd offer them a place at his side. I mean, it would be their fault if they were used as a battery because they didn't join him. Of course, someone had to be in charge of tormenting Hank so the Auditor just put a random MAG Agent in charge for the time being. Krinkles, was that his name? Didn't matter, he just needed someone to look over things while he was gone.

At least he could take a little time off during his makeshift vacation. He would give those puny humans, demons, angels, and the like this. Vacations are awesome, and he didn't have to worry about money since he could threaten his way out of paying for anything so that was cool. That unknown energy source would be his soon enough and that's all he cared about at the moment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boyfriend's House...

So he had superpowers. There was no denying it anymore for Adam, he had superpowers. He got hit by a car and it only felt like a light shove, he outran the bus he was trying to catch, and he threw a giant fucking pine tree into the air. He tried to push it aside before and say that he was just lucky and Girlfriend saved him both times he was in danger, but she wasn't around to do that. So that left him in a pickle, he desperately wanted to tell his friends, his girlfriend, and his family about his newfound strength. However, his mind raced through all the different ways it would backfire. Would they abandon him? Would they get wrapped up into dangerous situations because of his power? Ultimately, Adam decided against telling them out of fear of what could happen.

Well, at least he had a good excuse to finally hit the gym. That was something he could do in his many hours of free time now. His powers might be able to help him with his night job; he'll have to test that out as soon as his manager, Mike, got renovations done. A stench soon caught Adam's nose and his face almost shrunk back into his head. He would be needing a shower alright.

Adam grabs a towel and a walks into the bathroom. He glances into the mirror out of instinct and sees; well, he sees something different than usual. For a brief moment, he saw himself in a gray color palette with brilliant white eyes and an equally white mouth.

"OOOOH!" yelps Adam as he stumbles back.

He glances at the mirror again and he's back to normal, no color changes or glowing.

"Okay, that was freaky."

As soon as Adam is done showering and finished with his nightly routine he heads to bed and quickly falls asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
???...

"Hey"

"Get up"

"christ. WAKE UP STUPID!"

"Oh, uh, what?"

Adam woke up to find himself in, a gray void with a tv?

"About time, you and I have some things to discuss."

Adam turned around to address whoever was talking to him; maybe ask them about where he was and finds: himself, covered in gray with glowing eyes, and a glowing mouth.

Yep, Adam was certain he'd gone mad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: If this feels as if it's moving a little slow: don't worry, you'll get your action soon enough. I would like you all's thoughts on the pacing of the story though. Want to make sure it's not to fast or too slow.