Summer time.

I've always went to Susannah's beach house in Cousins ever year with Belly and her family. Always. Ever since I became friends with Belly. Isabella Conklin, she's my best friend. All year long I always count the days till I'm back in that house. The dads come to visit, by that I mean the Conklin's and Fisher's, my dad wouldn't be caught dead here. But they don't stay, they're not welcome. Not like us kids and mothers.

The summer house is made of lots of things. The beach. The swimming pool late at night after Belly leaves. Movie nights with the moms and Belly. But the boys. The boys most of all. Growing up it's always been Belly and Conrad. She's spend all her life getting him to notice her. But it's not hard to know he loves her back. Its the same every summer. I've always loved that about it. But this year, I crave something more.

For Belly, everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. But for me it's the moments I see him, Jeremiah Fisher.

"Drew's bummed you both are missing the beach matchup with the boy's team next weekend." Taylor spoke snapping me out of my thoughts. I rolled my eyes as I sat on Belly's bed.

"Um, make sure you tell Sophie to square up for the block."

"Drew Martinez is texting me about you, and you're talking about volleyball? Like are you serious right now?"

"Drew doesn't care if I'm there or not. Nor if Lye's there. He just wants an excuse to text you."

"Plus, Conrad is the only guy she sees." I made kissy faces at her making her throw a shirt in my direction.

"And you better take this game against the guys seriously. I mean, team pride is on the line, Taylor."

"Please. You know me better than that. I would never let a boy beat me at anything."

"I thought you came here to help me pack."

"Fine. I'll help." I got up grabbing a bathing suit. "here's a tip. Don't bring this. "

"She's right it doesn't do a thing for your new boobs,. Like you need to pack cute things like Lyra did."

"How do you know if I packed cute things or not?"

"Lye, look at your outfit. It's cute." I looked down at my sweater crop top and jean shorts.

"I guess? Anyways, don't you buy a new one every year anyway? Just buy something that doesn't look like you're trying out for the swim team. And then Conrad will be all over it. Trust."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"Belly, we're leaving in the next ten minutes!" Laurel the best mom anyone can ask for, besides Susannah, sometimes I wish I was born into this family.

"I got to go."

"No, you don't."

"Yes."

"We have ten minutes." We finished helping her before we walked down to the car, Taylor doesn't know the real reasons why Belly's family is always okay if I go with them. I always get the vibe she gets jealous being left behind.

"Okay, before you to leave me. You have to tell me your summer wishes. Like, the one thing you want to happen this summer."

"I don't know." We laughed at her poking her sides.

"Yes you do. You little liar. You want a hot make-out with Conrad Fisher. You want his tongue in your mouth, you dirty little slut."

"Okay, only you can make kissing sound so gross. But I do want that, with Jere of course. And this year is my year." Taylor high fived me as I laughed.

"You guys are gross."

"I'm just saying, you've been in love with him since we werre ten. You've got to shit or get off the pot."

"What?"

"A, that's disgusting. B, it doesn't matter what I do. He doesn't see me that way."

"Oh, he'll see you. Whether he wants to or not. You look a lot different than last summer, Belly. And you." I looked up as she grabbed my shoulder. "I'm glad you're going after what you want my little procrastinator."

"Oh, haha. But thanks, bring it in." We do a three sided hug before me and Belly got in the car. Half way there all I heard was Belly's singing can't do better by Kim Petras. I can tell her  mom is a little uncomfy. I don't blame her. Her brother looks amused, me, I'm just smiling at her watching her be crazy.

"Can you guys turn it down a little, please?"

"Yes, please."

"Thank you. I want you to be better about helping out this summer." All year we heard Laurel talk about how things are always weird because Susannah has money and they barely have any. They get how lucky they really are.  "Like, don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dishes either, Steven."

"What? But, I..."

"I want you to be good houseguests."

"Mom, Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" I leaned over slapping his head. "Ow. Alright, alright. Sorry." She's always been weird about money when I met her.

"Just be considerate and act like I raised you right. Steven, that means don't stay out too late."

"Mom, I'm too old for a curfew!"

"Wait, what about me?"

"And me."

"About us. I don't have a curfew either, right?"

"What do you need a curfew for you don't go anywhere."

"Don't be a jackass, Steven."

"What?"

"Belly, we'll talk about it when something comes up."

"I didn't hear anything about me. I'm more responsible than you both anyway."

"Whatever... oh and don't forget, you promised you'd take me driving."

"Belly, I told you I'd take you."

"Yeah, but you're too judgy." Me and Steven laughed a little Belly joining in.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes, I'm sorry."

"I'm just ready to see the boys, and the beach." We stopped at the store getting some snacks before entering cousins. Me and Bely walked in looking around. I went for some chips as belly opened a bag eating some of them. Boys at school never really noticed me or Bells it's mostly Taylor they look at. I guess you can kind of say we're just there.

I grabbed a drink for me and Belly before placing them by her chips at the register.

"Are you two new this summer?"

"No, we come here a lot."

"Really, hmm. Thought I knew every pretty girl in Cousins. Coming to the bonfire tonight? First of the season."

"Uh, maybe."

"Come. I'll introduce you to some of my friends."

"Maybe I will."

"Well, I for one accept your invite, I'll be there." I grabbed my chips smiling at Belly. "I'll be in the car." I walked out to see Steven putting gas in the car. "Look at you, finally know how to pump gas."

"Oh shut it. You excited to see Jeremiah." Steven also knows of my crush on the Fisher boy. He's been cool about it, but also grossed out because he sees me as a little sister.

"I am, yes. And Susannah and Conrad. And the ocean."

"Same. This year is gonna be different I can feel it."