summer time ball

"Good morning, Lye." I looked up at Jere with Susannah..

"Oh my god, am I late?" I sat up quickly wincing a bit.

"No, you're fine. Are you okay?" Jere wore a proud smile on his face as he walked out the room.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Are you ready for your big day?"

"Not at all. What if I trip?"

"Belly asked the same thing, you won't. Just hold on to Jeremiah's arm. He won't let you fall."

"That's true"

"You know, I can't believe you got him to go with you. He swore up and down he'd never go to one of these things."

"He said he doesn't mind."

"He would do anything for you. Also might wanna cover those up tonight, I told Jere the same thing." My face became red at the memory of last night. I covered them with my hand as she walked out the room. I am so gonna kill Jere. I got out of bed and got dressed before heading downstairs.

"Oh, Belly, you two should get going. Oh, and everyone, stay out of the family room. I've done all your paintings and tonight after the ball, we'll have a big unveiling. Uh, can you put that in Laurel's car, honey?" Jere took the dresses and did as told.

"Yeah. Yeah."

"Hurry, hurry."

"Yeah, aren't-aren't you driving me?" Belly asked her mom.

"I'm going over with Susannah, so I thought maybe you could drive yourselves."

"Seriously?"

"It's only a few blocks. Unless you don't want to?"

"Yes, yes. Yes."

"I think she does." Me and Laurel laugh at her.

"Drive slow, obey the lights, wait four seconds at each stop sign."

"I know, I know."

"We'll see you at the club in a few hours."

"Yep." I walked out with Belly seeing Jere close the car door. Belly got in the car waiting for me.

"Don't be nervous. We're gonna be the best waltzers out there."

"No, it's... it's not that."

"What? You nervous about seeing the girls?"

"No, I mean, everyone must know what happened by now. They all probably hate me."

"Want me to come with? I could be your hairstylist/bodyguard."

"No, you can't be in the green room. It's girls-only."

"Listen, Lila, you've got this. All right? I'll be right by your side the whole night. And if anybody gives you shit, I will..."

"You'll do what?"

"I'll be like, 'Yo, that's not cool at all.'"

"Mm-hmm." I laughed at him smiling.

"I'll grab your hand, and we'll dance away from everybody." He grabbed my hand spinning me around making me laugh before he kissed me. "Maybe... you'll fall in love with me all over again."

"Hell," I said "I love you enough now. What do you want to do? Ruin me?"

"Yes. I want to ruin you."

"Good," I paused looking at his lips then slowly meeting his eyes. "That's what I want too." I leaned up kissing him passionately. "I'll see you at the club." I quickly pulled away smiling getting into the car.