Ch-3 Mr. Paul

It was a bright evening. Alex and Ethan pattered as they made their way through the corridors and spiral stairways. Headed to the announcement hall, they perambulated across the tiled floor. Mr. Paul had asked the freshmen to assemble for an imperative announcement concerning the summer schedule. Since it was the head professor, Mr. Paul(AKA Mr. Viking), who had called them all for this important gathering, Ethan and Alex being responsible and obedient students, made sure to walk as slowly as possible. Wandering across the floors and taking several detours across the building on their way.

"I think we better head to the hall, Mr. Viking would be mad." Ethan said, a bit worried.

"Maybe, but I just can't take him seriously. Plus, announcement are boooring!" Alex replied lazily, his hands stuffed in the pocket of his jeans.

"What If it's about the field trip?" Ethan perked up.

"meh, head there if u want, I'm going back to the dorm" Alex replied, turning to walk back.

"Alex, you're going to get in trouble, you're not exactly Mr. Viking's favourite" Ethan called out. Alex had always found ways to piss Mr. Paul within the year he stayed at the hostel.

"Ba bye!" Alex replied waving his right hand carelessly, his left hand in his pocket and his back faced towards Ethan.

Ethan sighed and hurriedly made his way to the announcement hall. As he entered the cramped hall, he scanned over the heads of the students. Amidst the sea of heads, he spotted a brown fish-- a dark brunette with long hair, seated at the front. Hurrying towards her, Ethan took his seat next to Anna.

Mr. Paul had come on to the stage and begun addressing the crowd. Mr. Paul was a well-built man in his late thirties. He had long golden hair tied back in a tiny bun and a stubble, a few grey streaks mixed due to his age. He wore a dark-brown leather jacket, with white fur lining the neckline over a plain white shirt, sturdy black-boots, and carried a pocket watch with him, that dangled from his coat's pocket.

"Welcome cherry plums! I'm glad to see you gathered here in harmony....."

"Finally! you're here. Where is Alex?" Anna whispered.

"You know him, he thinks announcements are boring" Ethan replied, lowering his voice to match Anna's tone.

"Ethan!" Mr. Paul called out.

Ethan got startled and turned towards Mr. Paul

"yes Mr.Viki-"

Anna stomped on Ethan's foot who whelped in pain and quickly corrected himself.

"Uh....yes, Mr. Paul?" he said.

Mr. Paul raised a bushy brow and asked "Where is Alex?"

"Uh.....he...um..." Ethan stuttered searching for an excuse.

"Ah, I suppose he found my announcements boring, huh? " Mr. Paul asked chuckling, shaking his head.

Ethan laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head.

"well I'm sorry to say, Alex won't be able to accompany us on the field trip! unless he chooses to write me a written apology ofc!" Mr. Paul replied winking.

Ethan's smile dropped and Anna's shoulder slumped.

"We're doomed" Anna muttered dead-pan

"Yup!" Ethan replied pursing his lips.

Mr. Paul chuckled and moved on to continue with his announcement.

"So, you all must know why you have been called here. This is regarding the field trip. We shall be camping this year. The location and dates alongside other specifics will be posted on the announcements board on the fourth floor." Mr. Paul said pacing to and fro the elevated platform. "students will have a health check-up done and those who aren't fit enough to travel with us, will be visiting a cottage near the riverside, with goats, cows and other farm animals to keep them company."

The crowd erupted into a mix of laughter's and groans.

"And yes, those who aren't willing to join us too shall be sent to the cottage!" Mr. Paul said looking toward Ethan and Anna who gulped.

"The leader board will be declared by the end of the summer break, for the academic year, as well as other fields such as sports, music, art and dance." Anna straightened up a bit upon hearing this. Her hazel eyes met with a pair of black orbs set behind a set of heavy, blue rectangular spectacles. His blonde hair was sleeked back and he wore braces.

"Lucas Miller..." She muttered under her breath.

Lucas and Anna were two nerds who rivalled each other in academics. The hate between them was obvious. She huffed and turned away. Ethan being ignorant as always, never noticed the 2 minute long glaring contest.

"Anna, you're going to be first aren't you?" Ethan asked turning towards her with a cheerful smile. 

"Of-course i am! Lucas doesn't stand a chance!" She said proudly lifting her head.

"He is pretty smart as well" Ethan said tentatively. Anna shot him a glare that shut him up. If looks could kill, Ethan would have been six feet under by now. He turned away whimpering.

Lucas on the other side was still watching Anna, glaring at her with every ounce of energy he had, hoping for something to happen as a result of his intense glaring.

"Don't worry boss! you will come first" Tom said, his mouth stuffed with a donut.

Tom was a chubby read head who followed Lucas everywhere. He stuck to him at all times.

"Of-course i would come first, that stupid brunette doesn't stand a chance! just because she answers a few easy questions in class, she thinks she is sooo smart! her confidence is irritating" Lucas replied snarling, his eyes glued at Anna.

Tom nodded absentmindedly, stuffing himself while Lucas continued to rant of how Anna was nothing but a show-off and he was the smart one.

Mr. Paul had completed the other formalities of addressing the crowd and ended the meeting. "You may disperse" he said in a bold voice, turning to walk out of the giant doors of the cramped hall.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(i do not own the above pic)