21: Vampire Blood Bank (Halloween Short Story)

The crisp October air felt like a cold caress on my skin as I stepped out of the car. I shivered, my breath billowing in a white cloud before me. Taking a deep breath, I made my way to the blood donation clinic. I had been meaning to donate blood for a while, but had kept pushing it off. October seemed like as good of a time as any, I figured.

As I approached the entrance, I noticed a figure inside the clinic. It was a woman, dressed in a white lab coat. I assumed she was a nurse, but something about her seemed off. She was tall and slim, with pale skin and dark hair in a bun. Her eyes were piercingly blue. But the thing that struck me the most was her smile. It seemed almost predatory, and her teeth were oddly shaped. They almost looked like fangs.

My heart lurched, and a chill ran up my spine. Was this some kind of Halloween trick? I shook my head, trying to shake off the odd feeling and focus on the task at hand. I opened the door, the bell chiming as I stepped inside.

The nurse looked up at me and smiled again. Her teeth seemed even more pronounced than before, and my heart raced as I tried to make sense of what I was seeing.

"Good morning," she said. "I assume you're here to donate blood. Please, have a seat and we'll get started right away."

I nodded, still trying to shake off the strange feeling that had come over me. I sat down in the chair, my heart still pounding.

The nurse took out a small needle and pricked my finger. She then took a few vials of my blood and placed them on a tray.

"You can go now," she said. "We'll process your donation and you'll have the results within a few days."

I thanked her and made my way outside. I had just stepped out onto the sidewalk when I felt a cold hand on my shoulder. I whirled around, coming face-to-face with the nurse.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I forgot to tell you something."

Her gaze was intense, almost hypnotic. I felt a chill run through me as I waited for her to continue.

"It's important," she said. "This will be your last donation. There's a darkness coming, and it's going to take everything we have to stop it."

Then, without another word, she turned and walked away. I stood there, stunned, as I watched her disappear into the night.

The next few days were a blur. I couldn't get the nurse's words out of my head. I tried to tell myself it was all in my imagination, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was coming. I looked outside, expecting to see something dark looming on the horizon, but all I saw was the same old October sky.

Finally, the results of my blood donation came back. I read them over, my hands trembling. Everything seemed normal, but there was one unusual result. My iron levels were higher than normal.

I felt a chill run up my spine. Was this some kind of sign? I couldn't help but wonder if the nurse had been right. Was there really a darkness coming?

I got up, my heart racing. I had to do something. I had to prepare myself for whatever lay ahead. I had to do something now, before it was too late.