22. The Black Cat (Halloween Short Story)

Ann peered into the shelter, the light from the streetlamp twinkling beneath the wooden door. The warm air was filled with the smell of hay and musty fur, and something else, something irresistible. She looked around her, taking in the other cats. Some were curled up in their cages, snores rumbling in the back of their throats, while others peered out at her with wide, curious eyes. She glanced down the row, and then stopped.

At the very end of the shelter, tucked away in the corner, was a black cat. It was curled up in a ball, sleeping peacefully, its fur an inky black in the dim light. Ann had seen cats like this before, but something about this one was special. Its fur glimmered in the dying light, and its eyes were a bright, vivid green.

Ann couldn't help but smile. Without thinking, she reached out and ruffled the fur of the black cat, feeling its warmth beneath her fingertips. The cat stirred, and Ann's heart jumped in her chest. But then it settled back down, and Ann's heart settled too.

She hadn't decided if she was going to adopt the cat, but she knew she wanted to take it home. She looked around the shelter, and on the wall was a sign: "Adopt your family's new pet today!"

Ann smiled again, and turned around, walking out of the shelter. She knew that her family would be thrilled to welcome the black cat into their home.

When Ann arrived home, her family was gathered around the dining table. They were all dressed in their Halloween costumes, ready for the festivities that night.

Ann's father was wearing a vampire costume, complete with fangs and a cape. Her mother was a witch, and her brother a zombie. Even their dog was dressed up as a ghost!

Ann looked around and sighed, and then she saw the black cat. It was curled up on the windowsill, its tail twitching slightly, and its eyes now open. It was watching the family, and Ann felt a wave of warmth spread through her.

"What's this?" her father asked, looking up as Ann came in.

Ann smiled. "This is our new pet," she said, motioning to the black cat on the windowsill. "His name is Midnight."

Her family was speechless, and then everyone huddled around the cat, petting it and marveling at how beautiful it was. Ann watched as a smile spread across her father's face. He looked over at her, and Ann could see the gratitude in his eyes.

The family had found their perfect pet, just in time for Halloween.