Chapter 9

It's already ten in the morning and Yvan walked out of the elevator still feeling sleepy, but he doesn't really care. He couldn't understand why he's quite excited to go to work.

"Good morning, Mr. Vassinov." Bati ni Lei sa kanya pero di niya ito pinansin at nilampasan lang niya. As usual.

As soon as he entered his office, the first thing he did was to look for Khel. But to his disappointment, there was no one in that room.

Inisip niyang baka nasa banyo lang ito o may ginagawa kaya dumiretso na siya papasok. Ngunit labinlimang minuto na ang lumipas at walang Khel na nagpakita sa kanya.

This made him feel impatient. He was about to get up and look for Khel when Lei walked in.

"Sir, the board meeting is about to start. Naghihintay sila sa board room."

"Have you seen Khelvin?" Agad niyang tanong dito.

"Si Sir Khelvin po? I don't know, Sir. Di ko po siya napansing dumaan ngayong araw." Lei replied.

"Anong oras ka pumasok?"

"Around seven AM, Sir. At hindi naman ako umalis ng desk ko so I'm pretty sure di siya pumasok today."

"What the fuck?" Yvan exclaimed which made Lei a bit puzzled.

"Is there something wrong, Sir?" Lei asked.

"No. Nothing. Did he notify you in any way?"

"I don't think so, Sir. I did remind him to tell me if he can't go to work. Maybe he has an emergency."

"Fuck!"

Yvan started to feel strange. It was a mix of irritation, frustration and worry. But at the same time he was furious that Khel didn't even notify him that he couldn't come to work.

"About the meeting-"

"I know. I'll be there in a moment." Pagputol niya sa sinasabi ni Lei.

"Understood, Sir. I'll tell the board to wait for you."

Tumango lang si Yvan saka bumalik sa desk niya at pabagsak na naupo.

He couldn't understand why he's feeling frustrated about Khel being absent at work. Hindi naman niya ito kailangan para sa meeting at wala naman siyang importanteng ipapagawa dito.

He let out a huge breath to calm himself down before pulling out his phone from his pocket. He dialed Khel's number but no one was answering.

"Damn it! Answer the phone Khelvin!" Yvan said in irritation pero walang Khel na sumagot. He dialed Khel's number at least five more times before someone barged in his office.

"Mr. Vassinov, we've been waiting inside the board room for almost an hour now. We have meetings to attend to after this."

Yvan looked at the man who walked in and it only made him feel more irritated. He also saw Lei behind that man. She tried to stop this board member from barging in but she failed.

"Mr. Briva, please leave. My boss doesn't like-"

"I don't  care! Nasasayang oras namin dahil sa delay na ito." The old man said as if shouting at Lei. Napaatras si Lei dahil sa takot. Hindi dahil sa pagsigaw ng matanda kundi yung unti-unting nandidilim na paningin ni Yvan.

Yvan didn't like how the man spoke to him and his secretary and it only added to his already irritated self.

"Who the fuck are you?" Yvan asked in a deep voice. Lei could already sense something and it was not good.

"Please, Mr. Briva. I'm asking you to leave before-" Lei asked the man as her last attempt but he ignored her.

"I'm Julio Briva, and I'm here to ask why you're still here when you should be in the board room discussing important matters to us."