I Don't Like Mondays

The Berlin Wall began construction on the 13th of August 1961. An Autumnal day. It was to divide the Eastern block from the Western block; Tshe Soviets from the big three Allied forces.

One could possibly argue the wall was built as if it were to gain – and keep – control over their respected populace, indoctrinating them into the ideological influences of whichever side they were on.

Though the country's capital itself lay situated heavily within East Germany, it had still been divided between the USSR, the Americans, the British and the French.

This story does not particularly concern the Berlin Wall, nor its history specifically. On the contrary, this story does concern history and history can change. Or more importantly, at this moment, history has been changed.

For you see, the Berliner Fernsehturm, known in English as the Berlin TV Tower, began construction on the 4th of August in 1965 on the east side of Berlin.

Again, this story currently takes place in 1963. So already this history has diverged from the information society has documented, and some form of continuity has been thrown out the window.

Currently, the Berlin Wall was the only structure Chloe could rely upon to get herself to the theatre.

And it was currently being used as leverage against the undead.

Thinking fast, her mind raced with decisions that ticked over one another as a new one was chosen. A new path to be met with a new obstacle to overcome.

It wasn't so much as applying her combat training as it was performing parkour.

Efficiency. Purpose. With little room for mistakes.

However, the most efficient route required information and knowledge of the area – to which she found she was unable to climb high enough to orientate herself, lest the undead block any path of escape.

She couldn't abruptly stop either.

So she kept running, feet hitting the asphalt below.

How many times had she run through raider encampments? Sprinted past super mutants who hadn't a second thought on what just went past them?

Not even her own Institute synths could catch up to her when she really pushed herself – unless, of course, she let them.

Which is when she looked back, noticing how far she had run ahead of the horde. Afraid they would lose interest as before, she began to willingly lose her pacing, if only to keep the group of hungry undead focused on her for longer.

That's where the wall came in handy.

Being the trained woman she was, it was hardly a surprise that she could handle the winding streets and narrow passageways of Berlin effectively just as she could the urban sprawl of Boston – this included its enemies.

Her slightly slower speed on the other hand allowed for certain undead to begin sprinting faster. She sliced the closest two through the torso, the flames alighting their rotting corpses with a gory smell of burned flesh. A nearby lamp post provided ample space for another assault on her faster pursuers, using the steel post to swing herself around and knock down another three sent stumbling back to the ground.

It was inevitable that she would lose her advantage if she continued in this fashion. Creating a tedious balancing act between offensive blows bouts and retreating. Her distance far enough away as to not to be hurt but close enough to ensure their undivided attention.

But tedium soon turned to boredom, as her own attention began slipping into the droning sounds from the rotting crowd trailing behind her.

For all the time she had been running there was not one person she had seen, not one person to talk to and asking for directions was far from an option – she knew what catastrophes could be caused among the populace.