Chapter 3: Sophie

Sophie regarded her former best friend calmly, no trace of any emotion showing through. Gone was the loving little fifteen-year old who had strived to be Good and earn her Ever After — now all Agatha could see was a blonde and beautiful girl, cold and Evil.

"Sophie." Agatha met Sophie's emerald eyes with a steely gaze, her lips mashed into a thin line. "We meet again." Sophie caught her former friend eyeing her gold ring given by Rafal, and she pulled her hand back protectively. No way I'm destroying my ring.

Sophie let out an emotionless laugh. "Yes, we do, Aggie." She spat out her former friend's name distastefully, her emerald eyes flashing. "How's life going for you?"

Agatha's neck turned blotchy red. "I... I... Sophie..." she sputtered.

"Cat got your tongue?" Sophie smiled icily. "Or let me guess. It hasn't gone very well, after your pretty little Ever prince died, has it? Or..." She walked over to Agatha, tipping up her former friend's chin. "After Mommy dearest was killed by my hand?"

Agatha gritted her teeth, her eyes darkening with anger. She strained against Hort's grip, her muscles bulging with exertion. "You witch! You were... my... best friend!"

Sophie sighed. "Aggie, dearie," she cooed, "there's no use in struggling. Hort is stronger than you by far." She glanced at the weasel, sending him a reprimanding look. "And although I did tell him not to hurt you, I suppose I can't stop him now." She gestured to Hort, the beginnings of a demented smile forming on her lips. "Enjoy yourself."

Agatha cried out as Hort kicked her to the ground, binding her arms behind her back. "Execution, my Queen?"

Sophie grinned at her loyal weasel. "Worse than that. Send her to the dungeons. Do our special routine. I want to keep her alive, so when she reaches unconsciousness, stop torturing her. When she wakes up, resume the cycle all over again. Make sure she doesn't die, though."

Hort bowed his head, shuffling away obediently with Agatha slung over his shoulder, screaming for help. "Sophie! Why would you do this! You could have destroyed the ring! You could have killed Rafal! You could have had your Ever After!"

Sophie watched her former best friend go, her smile turning to a snarl as she met Agatha's terrified brown eyes. "Because the one thing I learned when Tedros was alive was that witches don't get Ever Afters," she hissed, striding away. Her emerald-green eyes flashed. "They get Never Afters."