Chapter 7: Sophie

Sophie seethed with fury as she caught a glimpse of Agatha disappearing into the Sword Room, her black hair briefly visible before she was fully gone. 

Sophie picked up her pace and rounded the corner to the Sword Room. Right as she was about to enter, she felt someone grab her and push her to the wall, holding a blade to her neck.

Sophie glared into Agatha's brown eyes, struggling against Agatha, who gripped a gleaming Excalibur tightly. "Let go."

"No." Sophie could tell Agatha was trying her best to look fierce. "I'd rather not."

Sophie gazed at her former friend, trying to convey all the hatred she felt for Agatha in her eyes. "Is this about you trying to talk me out of being with Rafal again? If so, don't waste your time."

Agatha bit her lip. "Sophie, I only want the best for you—"

"Or do you," Sophie spat. "After you abandoned me for Tedros? After you tried to take away my Never After with Rafal? And you're still trying to do that?"

Agatha narrowed her eyes and pressed Excalibur deeper into Sophie's neck, her arm visibly shaking. "Look, I don't want to do this the hard way but—" She released the sword, tears welling in her eyes. "I just can't."

Sophie smirked. Weak, defenseless little Agatha. With a quick move, she pushed Agatha aside and shot a stun spell at her friend, causing Agatha to crumple to the ground, unmoving. "Evil always wins," she grinned, picking up Excalibur and tossing it to a corner. 

Just then, a very befuddled Rowen appeared in the doorway. "What's happening?" he whimpered. "Mother, is she dead?"

Sophie glanced at her son. "No, she's not dead, but she will be soon. Anyway. Get out. I have business to take care of."

Rowen didn't budge. "You always make me get out," he argued, determination sparkling in his eyes. "I never get to know what's going on and you always yell at me!"

Sophie spun around to face Rowen. "You don't know what's going on because you don't know how the world works," she snapped. "It isn't all sunshine and rainbows, Rowen. You're Evil and so is your father. I am too. Your duty in the world is not to ask questions, it's to rule when me and Rafal are finished." Sophie dragged a hand through her hair. "Sometimes you just act too Good."

"But what if I am Good?" Rowen protested. "What if— what if I don't want to be mean and kill people—" His chin trembled. "I don't want to be like you and Father. You guys are always yelling and being mean and torturing the prisoners." He took a deep breath and gazed at his mother with shining eyes, as if she would appreciate his opinion.

Sophie didn't. Instead, she snarled and advanced toward her son. "You will be Evil," she said through gritted teeth. "Or else you're not our son. You're nothing."

Rowen's head dropped and he turned his head. "Bye," he whispered.

Sophie's expression was stone.