Chapter 8: Agatha

When Agatha woke, all her memories came flooding back to her.

Breaking out of her prison. Sophie yelling at her son, Rowen, and Sophie chasing after Agatha. Agatha spotting Excalibur and holding it to Sophie's throat. Sophie shooting her with a stun spell... and knocking her unconscious. 

Agatha swallowed. Then... where was she now? Sophie must have dumped her in a prison...

She took in her surroundings, noticing that she wasn't in a cage but in a rusty room. However, there was a cage was next to her, similar to the one she had been imprisoned in recently. There was a bloody prisoner inside, sitting in an uncomfortable position with his head hanging and his shoulders hunched.

Then Agatha took a closer look at the prisoner and sucked in a breath. 

He looked tired and ragged and bruised and bloody but he was still him. His fluffy blond hair was cut unevenly short, and it was muddy and limp. He looked like he hadn't eaten in days and seemed like he had a hard time even keeping his head up. 

But when Tedros lifted his head his eyes lit up. "Agatha," he breathed out.

Tears welled up in Agatha's eyes as she rushed towards Tedros's cage, wrapping her fingers around his. "Tedros," Agatha whispered. "I... thought you were dead."

"Almost," Tedros cracked, trying to smile but failing miserably. "Well, at least you're here." His smile faltered, replaced by panic. "They're going to hurt you too. You have to get out of here."

"They already have," Agatha answered. "But... Tedros, how are you alive? I saw you die with my own eyes. Your head was chopped off."

Tedros winced, contorting his already swollen face. "Ouch. Yeah, that wasn't me."

"So— so it was someone else?" Agatha asked, relieved. 

Tedros nodded weakly. "Probably an illusion or some sort of messed-up magic. Or..." He shuddered. "They made someone look like me and cut off his head instead of mine." His shoulders sagged. 

Agatha dropped her gaze. "They're Evil. I bet they would do that. But is it wrong that I feel relieved..." She met her prince's gaze. "...that you didn't die?"

Tedros gave a defeated sigh. "I might, very soon. Just look at me. It hurts just to talk." He met Agatha's eyes. "Agatha, we have nothing. I hate to say this, but we have to give up on this hopeless mission on bring Good back."

"No, we can't give up on Good." Agatha looked at Tedros, pleading with her eyes. She gripped Tedros's hand tighter. "We can't give up on Good! And I won't give up on you."

"It doesn't matter." The cocky, confident boy Agatha had once knew was gone, replaced by a broken, hopeless one. "Everyone is dead anyway. Merlin, the old heroes, most of our classmates from the School of Good. There is nothing left to fight for, Agatha. And even if we tried, we wouldn't stand a chance. What do we have on our side? It's just you and me. Nobody else. And Sophie and Rafal have a whole army, the whole Woods on their side. And Sophie and Rafal are very powerful. More powerful than us at least."

Agatha was silent. "True," she admitted after a long while. "But... I think I know someone that can help us."

"Who?" A faint glimmer sparked in Tedros's faded, tired blue eyes. 

Agatha took a deep breath. "Well, Rafal and Sophie have a son named Rowen and I think he's Good—"

"Rafal and Sophie have a son? Named Rowen?" Tedros repeated almost as if he couldn't believe it. "That's new."

"Yeah," said Agatha irritably. "Now don't interrupt. So, I think Rowen can help us by spying—"

"And just how old is this Rowen?" Tedros intervened. "Like, he can't possibly be too old, because Sophie and Rafal are still young."

"Right." Agatha paused. "That's a valid question. He looks about seven."

Tedros gaped. "Seven? The person who's going to help us bring back Good is seven years old? Have you thought about how much things could go wrong with this plan—"

Agatha pinched the bridge of her nose. "Like I said. Stop interrupting me. And yeah, I know there are a million things that could go wrong. Our deaths, for example. But really, do you want to live your life in this prison, rotting away? Or even if we got out, do you want to live your life on the run, never knowing when you're safe? Me, I'd rather not. Our options are either take a risk or die." Agatha stopped to let her words sink in. 

Tedros looked down. "Sometimes, when you're like this, it makes me feel like a coward," he admitted softly. 

Agatha leveled him with a fiery gaze. "So are we going to do this?"

Tedros held her stare. "Yes."