Chapter 12: Agatha

Agatha sucked in a breath, her eyes widening. Disbelief pooled in her chest, along with a weird mix of hope. "Really?" she asked with too much excitement then was necessary. "You want to?"

Sophie grinned, her emerald eyes sparkling. Agatha knew that look... and it didn't mean good news. "On just two conditions," she began. 

Agatha and Tedros exchanged glances. He mouthed, I don't think is going to be good.

Sophie smirked before continuing. "First, you can't tell anyone about what we're doing— anyone." She leveled both Agatha and Tedros with intense gazes. "Secondly, I will take charge of everything."

Agatha started to interject, "But—"

Sophie gave her a sugary, fake smile. "Either you follow my rules or I have both of you dead, right now in this spot."

"You wouldn't," Tedros argued bravely. Agatha screamed inside her head, Shut up!

Luckily Sophie only gave Tedros an icy glance. Then, she extended her hand towards Agatha's and tipped her head. "So...?"

Agatha hesitated. This could very well be a trap. Sophie wasn't exactly the most trustworthy person— Agatha knew this from experience. Doubts filled her mind, and she opened her mouth to say no—

Sophie cooed, "Agatha darling, think again. Because this isn't just about you and your prince's lives, it's also about the future of Good."

There. Those words hit Agatha like a freezing-cold bucket of water. All doubts Agatha had had before vanished. "Okay," she said firmly, reaching out to shake Sophie's. "We're all in."

Tedros narrowed his eyes. "What if she kills us? Or, more than that, what if she—"

"Let's not play the what-if game, Teddy." Sophie's emerald eyes darkened. "We all know what happens when we do that."

Agatha's neck flushed red and blotchy. 

"So, let's get started shall we?" Sophie asked. "First, let me just say Rafal has been kind of suspicious of me currently, so even I'll have to lie low." 

Agatha thought of their argument and agreed, "Yeah, true."

Sophie gave a smirk. "So, Agatha. Teddy." She gave her former prince a disgusted glance before she simpered, "How would you two like to be my personal servants?"

Agatha gaped. "Seriously?" she gasped. "Your servants, Sophie, your servants—"

Tedros sniggered. "Of course Queen Sophie has to have personal servants. That's just how much she can't take care of herself."

Stupid, Agatha thought internally. Stupid child. 

Sophie shot back, "At least I'm not a blubbering fool of a prince— oh wait, you're not even a prince. Camelot is burned to a crisp now. Hardly a kingdom."

That shut up Tedros effectively. He flushed bright red, just like his princess often did, but bit his tongue.

Sophie grinned with obvious satisfaction and leaned back. "Agatha, you'll be my personal maid and Tedros... with all that brawn and no brain, you'll be my bodyguard, although I doubt you'd protect me from anything."

Agatha could see Tedros biting back a retort, but he very smartly shut his mouth as Sophie doled out their uniforms. Agatha frowned at the prissy, ruffled black-and-white maid dress and bonnet. She caught Tedros admiring his pitch-black suit and flexing in the mirror, oohing-and-aahing at his muscles.

Agatha also caught Sophie rolling her eyes at Tedros. Agatha smirked... and then her grin faded when Sophie caught her eye and Sophie's face turned stone-cold, again.

Agatha sighed. Of course, this "new" Sophie wasn't going to laugh with Agatha, joke with her about how ridiculous Tedros was, perform her ridiculous makeup routines on Agatha...

She simply wasn't the same Sophie.