Chapter 2 - Of the Weary and the Dead

I took a moment at the precipice of the exit above me.

Half blinded but ears sharp, nothing but a strong wind could be only faintly heard, muffled and distant outside. I climbed out. There I was in a reinforced titanium structure on the exterior surface for housing snowmobiles. Yet those useful machines were nowhere to be seen.

Closing the hatch behind me and turning the wheel to lock it I then went to look out of one the thickly reinforced bulletproof windows, there were only two of them. And they were emanating pure cold. Outside was a scorching whiteness that would have burned normal eyes and which mine were struggling to pierce. Yet there was no mistaking it. Outside was only a harsh, bone chilling blizzard.

A frozen, barren desert.

I have found the way. I have found the outside. I quickly grabbed an empty can that was free of rust and opened the side way door on the inside. I was amazed the door gave in to my strength, even if begrudgingly and after a tremendous fight with it. The cold wind blasted at my face and I felt its touch as that of a mistress wanting to take my life. I filled my can and quickly went back inside. I wouldn't risk having snow burns all over my mouth. I survived this far, I would survive a little longer waiting for the snow to melt.

There in a corner I sat down and fell asleep. That time, the nightmares decided not to bother me.

I had awoken finally at one point. Everything was engulfed in darkness again except for the strange glimmers outside the windows. I raised myself and went to it. The aurora borealis. It was still there. A majestic symphony of lights that lightened my spirit. I couldn't help but think of Joshua even though he decided his guidance I needed not at that moment.

I went back and carefully found my cup, drinking from the waters of life. Slow sip by sip, yet soon I found it empty and next time around I refilled a few more. I took a box and sat near the window, gazing at it as I tried to put my past in order.

''What has happened to me? What am I even at this point...'' My thoughts stretched heavily.

Memories, all jumbled, speeding fast-forward and around, skipping some and showing something new each time. I forced my mind to clear and search deeply for my first memories, from there slowly taking it to my present. I needed to know, I needed to comprehend who I was and what had happened. I remembered madness and anger assailed me when I was a young kid, threatening to shatter my mind from the loss of my grandfather. Yet I taught myself cold hard discipline in order to simply not lose my mind. I did not lack much really, yet, my childhood was such that it left me uniquely the way I was. I learned to live alone and to like being alone. That trait would remain more or less with me forever I was sure. Years passed, I grew, I changed, bodily and mentality as all do when they grow.

The world was the same as ever, unfair but providing for the most. There were no wars and we were uplifted technologically. Yet it all changed during the time of my youth when the world decided to experiment with genetic modifications on man and beast. To splice DNA and blend it again with that of many species. A private enterprise that was fuelled by the mass demand and interest in genetically modified animal people. Interest in concepts such as cat people, dog people, fox people... wolf people. And others.

An idea quickly picked up by all sorts of government branches and other private medical firms. The goal was noble they all said. Who wouldn't want increased senses and small, beautiful features of animals? Who wouldn't want to make medical breakthroughs to better improve the human body in a naturally biological way? I could see it backfiring so hard though a part of me was enticed by the idea.