Chapter 12 - Dead Man's Gambit

-''Doctor! What is going on?'' Radioed Texas.

I was suddenly tackled onto the useless, nonfunctional tactical display and I felt a sharp point trying to dig into my back. However, the body armour I wore under my clothes protected me from crude backstabbings such as these. I tackled down my assailant in return, getting the upper hand. Disarming him as I chocked him until he was subdued.

-''Doctor, respond!'' Demanded Texas through the radio.

I took the knife out of his hand and brought it to the neck of the traitorous Rhodes Island staffer that was attached to my logistics team. I released the pressure around his throat just enough for him to speak.

-It's too late! He'll be here. You failed Doctor! Fuck you!

I smacked the pommel of the knife into his head. Hearing an audible crack and his body became limp, falling unconscious, or dead.

-''Seems logistician Onek was the traitor all along.'' I said casually to no one in particular. Knowing my radio would transmit everything that it picked up to my teams.

-Everyone here evacuate the building through the main exit. You have thirty seconds, move!

Almost immediately all the personnel present obeyed my order and ran like Hell. Soon after I gave the command a large explosion was heard in the distance, on the opposite side of the inner building. I fine-tuned the radio under my chest pocket one more time. Wishing to continue to convey my tactical data while not letting my enemies know about it.

-My position is compromised, the main Reunion force is currently deploying on the field HQ.

-''Doctor we'll be the-'' was the last thing I heard before the sound muted itself. Reunion must have brought their own local wave jamming device.

Soon I was surrounded by more elite looking Reunion members. With one formidable and flamboyant looking ursian man in front of them all.

-Doctor of Rhodes Island. Greetings at last, I had expected you to look more... imposing.

-''General Retribution.'' I said, inspecting him up and down before continuing.

-You are shorter than I expected up close.

-Hah, we will see how your good humour holds after I am done with you.

I pulled a detonator from my pocket, thumb on the trigger.

-Our mole has already disabled your feeble explosives. Your trap has been untoothed.

I pushed the trigger and not so distant explosions shook the ground.

-All exits are sealed general. You are stuck here with me now.

-You are quite quick to impede me. Cutting me off from your tactical display and fleet of drones. Denying my troops the way behind to your forces. Yet I still have the prize I came here for Doctor, you.

-''I am afraid I will have to dispel you of that notion as well general.'' I said as I pulled off my mask and dropped the Doctor's coat. Revealing my katana strapped against my back and my handgun in my chest holster.