Chapter 10 - The Duality of Lupos

It was three weeks later after the last mission. And by that time I had made a complete recovery. It was on a good morning that I walked towards the Doctor's office for a private meeting.

-Good morning my good Doctor. You summoned me and I came.

-''You have quite an interesting dossier you know.'' Said the doctor.

-I should know all too well of course, it is about me after all.

-''Indeed.'' He said as I took a seat on the couch and laid relaxedly.

-Are you about to coax some life stories out of me Doctor?

-Could I?

-It wouldn't be coaxing if I said yes. I am not an open book to be read.

-Perhaps just a little something. Just between us.

-How about this Doctor. You share something from the past of you that was, and I will share something in return.

A small silence went on.

-Hmm. A good trade if I could remember something worth talking of.

I raised my shoulders in response.

-''Then I guess we will both be keeping our little secrets my good Doctor.'' I said with a light smile.

-I like our conversations Tacet, honestly.

-I don't mind them at all. Yet, you haven't brought me in your office just to tell me this.

-We could continue coaxing each other at some tea later. In the meantime I must congratulate you.

I waited for more input as I had no idea what he was on about. True, in the few missions I had under him, we grew to know each other quite well as much as our secretive natures would allow. I was even promoted twice in a short amount of time, and we had grown a mutual trust. It was not rare that many have seen me and the new Doctor of Rhodes Island together. Talking on different matters. As much as we didn't share close information we could surprisingly find worthy discussion in seemingly any topic.

-You are appointed as squad leader.

-Permanently?

-For the foreseeable future at least.

-Doctor, why are you giving me Texas's position?

-It is natural for positions to switch from time to time. Like a rotation between operators who can carry the burden.

-You know well that she more than deserves her position. And you entrusting her with it meant a lot to her.

-I trust Texas to be mature enough to understand my reasons.

-I haven't yet accepted that position.

-Will you?

-Couldn't say I really want it.

-Why?

-''Why would I?'' I retorted.

-''It comes with a cash bonus.'' He tried to convince me.

-An amount that is hardly a compensation worth bothering over.

-What if I said I needed you. And that I personally ask you to take up this mantle?