Chapter 13 - Late Night Dinner

It was nearly midnight when I had finally finished my report for the mission I had finished that same day. It was a tedious if not a tiresome task, yet it had to be done for this specific mission I had. And submitted it I have to the Doctor himself just an hour before midnight.

-Thank you for your swiftness Tacet, I actually expected you to finish later than this.

-It's alright my good Doctor, I didn't want to waste no more time than I had to on it either.

-You will find the report comprehensive and to the point.

-I thank you again, I know it is late. But doctor Kal'tsit requested the information regarding your last mission, and I must agree with her this time.

-I understand Doctor. I'm just glad we got everybody back alive.

-It is a victory in itself every time all our operators come back.

-Indeed... it is, my good Doctor. Has anybody else submitted their reports?

-No, you are the first to have finished.

-Are you going to remain much longer at your post Doctor?

-I must until all the senior members of your team give in their reports at least.

-I see. Well then, I shall take my leave now.

-Goodnight Tacet, you've done well.

I strolled out of the Doctor's office, taking in the silence of the deserted hall. Only faintly I could still hear signs of life coming from an office here and there. People working to finish the last reports and tasks of this gruelling day.

I was tired, though my last coffee had still kept me very much up and going. But once I would hit the bed I would sleep like a rock. As I left the office section I passed by the Auxiliary Kitchen and stopped in my tracks. I realised how hungry I was, having eaten only a light breakfast at an ungodly early hour this morning. And since then I had only a few energy bars to keep me going throughout the day. And after the mission I had I was actually so famished that even the coffee I had could only hide it so much from me.

I decided to enter. My ID had quite a high clearance by now on Rhodes Island, and I was granted access as I swiped it against the reader besides the door. I entered, and it was dark further in front of me except for a few green exit emergency lights. The illumination of the corridor that was flooding meagerly inside through the windows made the large room seem more eery than it was.

I flipped a few switches nearby and the cafeteria lit up. It was much smaller but better furnished than the main one. I went inside the kitchen and lit the place up. Taking out the Presence & Use register I noted down the time and date of my entry and usage of this facility. I pulled out my portable music player and plugged it into the audio system of the room. A fine tune started with my chosen album compiled of music from the current age, and I was ready to start.

''Now, what to cook myself.''

The possibilities were endless. The pantries and fridges were filled with fresh ingredients.

''Maybe pasta with a generous amount of meat.'' I thought.

It would be filling and light enough for such a late hour. Of course with a good bottle of wine besides it. ''Heck, maybe a pizza too.'' I thought, but I realised that was just my hunger influencing me. However, a fresh pizza to have in the morning for the next day wouldn't hurt.