Ch. 4 ~Just Like Aunt Steph Said

Lizzy's POV

"I choose Crackers," I said. I had a connection with Crackers. She was different than all of the other horses. She was 2 different colors, 2 different colored eyes, and a spiky mane. She was different, and that's what made her special.

My parents always said find the good in everyone, even if they are weird, or really mean. Everyone has a special quality, and Crackers' special quality was that she was different. In a good way.

"I had a feeling that you would choose her," Aunt Steph said, then she pointed to a door that said TACK ROOM, and said,"All her stuff is in that room, and it's labeled. Go grab her brush box, and groom her. I know Gigi taught you how to groom a horse, so you do that and I'll get her tack and show you how to tack a horse up in western tack," she said.

"Ok, but I have 2 questions. 1. Why is Rookie's mane and tail blonde? And 2. What is tack?" I asked.

"Oh! Rookie's mane and tail isn't blonde, it's called flaxen. He has a flaxen mane and tail, which looks blonde. And the tack is the saddle, saddle pad, girth, and bridle! Also, while I'm thinking of it, I'm going to grab you a pair of boots and a helmet. I'll be back quickly!" Aunt Steph said, then headed off to get me the proper riding gear.

Ok, first things first, I need to get her grooming box. I went into the tack room and grabbed the purple box that said Crackers on it, then brought it to a pair of cross ties. Gigi had taught me what they were, and how to clip them onto the horse's halter, which I also learned about.

Next, I grabbed Crackers' purple halter and lead rope, and opened her stall door, and slipped the halter over her head, buckled it on, then held the lead rope so it wasn't wrapped around my hand, then led her to the pair of cross ties her brushes were at.

I had just realized that all of the horses had color coded stuff. Each of the horses my aunt and uncle own have different colored halters, brush boxes, saddle pads, and buckets. That's pretty cool! Crackers' color is purple, which I liked. Purple, the color of royalty.

I clipped the cross ties to Crackers' purple halter, then got to work on grooming her. First, I used the purple rubber curry comb and rubbed it in circles over her neck, back, barrel (stomach) and hindquarters. Next, I took a stiff brush and sweep the hair and dirt that the curry comb brought up off of her, and also I used it to get the mud and grass stains off of her legs. Finally, I used a soft body brush and went over her whole body, and she gleams!

On perfect time, Aunt Steph walked over with a pair of brown, worn cowgirl boots and a black helmet. I looked down at my old Nike tennis shoes that I had declared my barn shoes, and I was glad that I would be able to change out of them and into the boots.

Aunt Steph handed me the boots. "Put these on, and then I'll show you how to tack Crackers up," she said, and I slipped off my Nikes, and pulled the boots on. Wow, perfect size! I set my shoes by Crackers' brush box, then watched as Aunt Steph carried a thick purple saddle pad, a tan western saddle, and a brown leather bridle. She pulled out the wooden saddle rack that was on the stall closest to the cross ties, and set everything on it.

"First, you take the saddle rug, and smooth it over the horse's back," she said, and did so. "Next, you take the western saddle, and gently set it on the saddle rug. It's kind of heavy, so I can help you if you need it as you start tacking Crackers up in the future," she went on, and gently set the big saddle on Crackers' back. "Then, you do up the girth like this," and she showed me how. "You want to make sure it's nice and snug, but you can tighten it before you get on. And finally, you take the bridle, gently slide the halter off and put the reins over her neck, slide the bit in her mouth like this, and pull the crown piece over her ears. Do you get it?" Aunt Steph asked. I nodded, and then I took the reins. "Here, snap this on, and lead her to the indoor arena," she said, and handed me the helmet. I snapped it on, and made sure the chin strap was tight. It was, then I took her reins, and led her to the indoor arena, just like Aunt Steph said.

We got in the arena, and Aunt Steph tightened the girth, then showed me how to mount a horse. Soon enough, my left foot was in the stirrup, and I was swinging myself onto Crackers' back. Instantly, something clicked. This all felt natural. Me, up on a horse! Wow! I bet Mom and Dad are proud, watching me from above. I smile as I picture them smiling and pointing at me from above, and then I take the reins in one hand, and rest the other on my thigh, just like Aunt Steph said.

***

At the end of my lesson, I was able to successfully walk Crackers around the ring, and in tons of different shapes. It was so much fun! Aunt Steph said that I would learn how to trot in my next lesson, and I was nervous, but excited at the same time.

"When's my next lesson?" I asked.

"Well, how about when Brit and Gigi get home, while they're doing their homework, I'll give you your trotting lesson, and then once they're done with their homework, they can rack up Tiger Lily and Jazz, and take you on your first trail," Aunt Steph suggested.

"Great, but won't Crackers be tired from this lesson?" I asked.

"I don't think so. We only did walking and learning how to steer, and she's half asleep already. I think she'll be just fine," Aunt Steph laughed.

I looked down at Crackers' head, and it was hung low, and her eye lids drooped over her pretty colored eyes.

I laughed. "You're right!" I said. "How do I get off of her?" I asked.

"Well, it's like a reverse of getting on. You kick your right foot out of the stirrup, swing it over her back, rest on your belly, kick your left foot out of the stirrup, then just slide off. It's really simple," Aunt Steph instructed.

"Alright," I said, and I easily dismounted Crackers, just like Aunt Steph said.

-------------------------

A/N: hey guys! So, Lizzy chose Crackers! Do u think Crackers was a good choice? Sorry that the chapters are sorta short and boring! I'm working harder on making them longer, and I promise that interesting stuff will come up soon! Random question: What's your favorite time of the day? Like, morning, afternoon, evening, or night? I love the mornings, cause I like starting a new day! Please comment and vote!! The next chapter is going to be put up right after this one! Thanks guys!!😘😘