Ch. 11 ~Rumor Has It

Rumor's POV

I am a whisper in the wind.

I run free with my herd.

I am a free spirit.

No one could ever break me.

Some say I'm real.

But others say I'm just a rumor.

Oh I'm a rumor alright, but this time, the rumor is true.

I am the last mustang leader in Eastern Oregon.

I rule over this land.

And snatch a mare or two, when I can.

I am a rumor.

But this time, the rumor is true.

***

Lizzy's POV

Me, Gigi, Brit, Rachel, Alex, Aunt Steph, Uncle Pat, and my cousins' grandparents all sat around the dining room table, and said a blessing. When the blessing was finished, we dug into our fried chicken, which was, of course, amazing.

I was sorta just half listening to the conversation, until I heard what Grandpa Jackson said.

"Yep, Mr. Buck is not happy. His mare, Periwinkle, was stolen. He doesn't know how, but he believes that she was stolen," Grandpa Jackson said.

Wow, a stolen horse!

"Although, some might think the rumor horse stole Periwinkle," Grandpa Jackson said doubtfully.

"What rumor horse?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, you haven't heard of the Rumor Horse?" Grandpa Jackson said. I shook my head. I want to know.

"Well, rumor has it, that there is a herd of wild mustangs. The last herd in the area. The lead stallion is a magnificent buckskin, and his lead mare is a palomino as golden as the sun. Everyone calls the mustang Rumor, since nobody has actually seen him. But they say that he is a whisper in the wind. He runs free with his herd. He is a free spirit. No one can ever break him. He is the last mustang ruler in Eastern Oregon, and he rules over this land. He will snatch a mare or two when he can. But surely, he is just a rumor. But maybe, the rumor is true," Grandpa Jackson told.

Wow. He has to be true! That's the reason Periwinkle is gone! Rumor stole her!

"Well, don't you think that maybe Periwinkle got out somehow, and ran off into the wild and became a part of Rumor's herd?" I pressed.

"Maybe. We will never know for sure until we see the herd. But no one has ever seen the herd, so that's why it's just a rumor. A town rumor," Grandpa Jackson said.

"I don't know, I think it could be true," I said, then went back to my food.

***

"Thanks again for having us over for dinner," Grandma and Grandpa Jackson said.

"It's our pleasure," Uncle Pat said.

"And thanks for telling me about the Rumor Horse!" I called.

"No problem. Everyone around here's heard it, not fair to leave you out!" Grandpa Jackson said, and then they got in their red pickup truck, and drove out of the gates of Legend Ranch.

I thought about the Rumor Horse. I hope he's real. That would be so cool! I've heard that there are mustangs in Oregon, and I've heard there are mustangs in Nevada. We are pretty close to the border between Oregon and Nevada, so it's definitely possible that it's true.

I chewed on it as I fed Jackie, Peaches, and Crackers. I'm getting pretty good at this whole feeding thing. I've also noticed that I've become stronger. Lugging heavy water buckets and western saddles does give me a good workout.

My mind keeps going back to Rumor. I wish there was a way that I could prove he was real. If only there was some way........

____________

A/N: hi guys!! I hope u liked this chapter (sorry it's so short!). What do u think is going to happen??? Please comment and vote for this chapter! RHI is so close to 200 views! Let's get there!! Thanks everybody time for a random question: what is ur favorite tv show? Mine are the Middle, Modern Family, Heartland, Victorious, Zoey 101, and Drake and Josh! I know, the last 3 r pretty lame but I like them😊 bye everyone! Hope ur all having a good summer!!