Ch. 30 ~Home

1 week later

Rumor's POV

I was galloping around my fenced in area when the man entered the corral and shook the bucket. I stopped, and trotted to the man. I went inside and ate the food that he poured in the bucket.

It's been so long since I've run free. I'm giving up on my dream of going home, so I've sort of lost my spark.

Then something out of the ordinary happened the next day.

They put some rope on my head, and tugged me to the dark, white, moving box. Nope. Can't do it.

I stood still and held my ground. I am NOT going in there. No way.

The lady who held my rope looked at me, then clucked and tried to urge me in again. I didn't budge.

She called somebody, and another man came out with a large stick with a thin rope on the end. The whip is what it was. Yikes!

They tried to herd me into the box, but I didn't want to go in it. The first time I got in it, it took me here. I don't want to go to another dreadful place!

I jerked my head so the lady dropped the rope, and then I swung around and faced the man with the whip. My spark is coming back! I grabbed the weapon with my teeth, and yanked it out of the man's hands. I dropped it, and stepped on it.

I was about to make a run for it, but then the lady snatched the end of the rope, and I was forced to stay where I was.

Then the man took something out of his pocket, and came towards my shoulder with it. I felt something poke into my shoulder, and I tossed my head and snapped my teeth.

Then I got that sleepy, lazy feeling. The lady tugged on the rope, and I clumsily followed her into the box......

***

Lizzy's POV

Yep! Today's the day that Rumor comes home! I can't wait!!

When I got home from school, to keep myself from thinking about it, I get Crackers ready to ride.

We do the barrel racing pattern a few times, and to cool her down, I went on a trail with Roo and Alexis.

We walked under the canopy of trees, and I sighed happily, feeling bubbly from the good news.

"Someone's happy," Roo said and laughed.

"I might be a tad bit excited about Rumor," I joked.

"Oh yeah, just a 'tad bit' excited," Alexis said, and we all cracked up.

"Are you guys nervous for the show this Saturday?" I squeaked nervously.

"Nah, I'm petty sure this is one's just going to be a fun show. Not super competitive like some others I've been too," Alexis said, and Roo and I nodded.

"What about you, Roo?" I asked.

"I'm not that nervous either," she said. "It's going to be fun, and that's what matters. Are you nervous Lizzy?" she asked.

"I'm extremely nervous. I'm only showing Crackers in barrels, but I'm also going to show Disney in beginners' in hand trail," I explained.

"That should be fun," Alexis said. "Don't be nervous, you're going to do fine!"

"Thanks, you're a good friend for saying that," I said thankfully.

"You're gonna rock it," Roo said with a bright smile.

I smiled back at her, then said, "Wanna race back?"

We had reached the part of the trail where it was an open field, and it easily led back to the main property.