15.

Ghost's Pov:

My mind wandered after the mission, constant running thoughts going without stopping. I walked beside Penelope on the stretcher, seeing the oxygen mask on her face as her eyes fluttered in and out, what the hell did they do to her? Dried blood trickled down from her head, bruises covered her chest and face, they must have needed some type of information out of her, it was either that or, they were just plain disgusting and beat her.

Reaching the med bay, the nurses slowly lift her onto the hospital bed. They rushed as they place IV bags to hang and stuck needles in her to get the hydration in her system. She looked as if she was still unconscious, I just stared as she was on the bed, and the nurses attended to her well-being. I didn't know how to act as I haven't seen her in a while, she probably doesn't want anything to do with me though either. She looked broken, drained, showing clear signs she fought and stood strong through it all. One of the nurses came up to me, "Sir, we will continue to monitor her, please let her rest" She rested her hand on my shoulder, and I nodded.

The day felt dreadful, I just wanted to be with one person but she needed to rest as well. As time went by, I stayed zoned out, the world a blur not minding anyone or anything. I sat in the break room as everyone passed by or went in and out not paying anyone mind. I take my phone out and check the time, 2 am. I felt the needed urge to see her, I needed to see Rose.

As I reached her room, I hesitated if I should knock, it was pretty late. Simon, what the hell are you doing? Without notice, I knocked softly. Hearing the door lock click, I then saw her, beautiful as always. I tried explaining why I came to her but words couldn't come out as I stuttered, I felt arms around me suddenly. She hugged me, and it never felt more needed than at this moment. She knew I needed it, reading me quite well. I laid my head on her shoulder as I tried to hold back my tears. We soon headed inside her room to talk more.

I explained how I felt about my sister and explained who Penelope was. She gave attention to every word I spoke. It made me feel heard and understood. My heart felt warm with her, my sanity felt sane, and this is when I knew I was in love with her.

After our conversation, she showed me the time it went by pretty fast as it was already 3 am. As much as I was bummed out, I didn't want to keep her up. Her presence alone made me feel complete, I never wanted to leave her side, I needed to make my move now, I have to show her part of how I felt about her.  I slowly gripped her waist and pulled her close to mine, I had her in my touch, and leaning down I finally met her lips with mine. She reciprocated the kiss back and I felt her love through the kiss, she felt the same. My heart fluttered as our kiss grew more intense with hunger, but I stopped myself. The kiss still lingered on my lips as I couldn't get it out of my head, she's the one I want.

Rose's Pov:

As the night passed, it was finally morning. Me and Simon kissed last night, I still couldn't get over it, it just felt unreal yet, amazing. I woke up with the biggest smile as I lay on my bed thinking about it. I take a look at my phone to see a message from Price;

"Mornin' kid, get some breakfast and head to my office after, need to talk about today's plans."

I briefly sighed as I already had an idea of what may happen today. I threw on some comfy sweats and a white hugged t-shirt with some low-top sneakers and left towards the break room.

I reach the break room and I'm greeted by a voice, "Ey' Rose! How're ya?" Soap asked, I waved at him with a small smile, "I'm okay, considering yesterday's events" I sighed, "And yourself?" Asking as I poured my coffee into my cup. Soap stood silent for a bit, but then responded, "Y'know I wanted to speak on that .." he looks down for a moment as he pauses in silence thinking in his head. "Penelope is special, and now that the mission is made personal, I'm afraid I'll lose myself. When it comes to family, we protect and fight like nothing else matters" he continued. I furrowed my eyebrows, my eyes being fragile towards him, "I understand, but remember what we came here to do, don't let emotions get involved." I patted him softly on the shoulder before taking my seat across from him. He nodded, "Thank you, Rose, truly appreciate your words" he smiles softly. I continued to drink my coffee and once I finished I headed to Price's office.

I stood in front of his door before I could knock the door opened, "Aye Rose, just on time, come in" I walked in and sat in the chair as he closed the door, I didn't know what to expect so I tried preparing myself mentally and emotionally and watched as he took his seat and leaned back on his chair. "So, what's this meeting for sir?" I asked, he looks down for a quick second then meets my eyes again, "It's Penelope, we need to question her." He stops and then breathes with slight disappointment, "Well, you need to." My eyes widened, "m-me? Why?" He looks around, "Rose, you are the only woman on our force, she might feel more comfortable with another woman as us men can be quite intimidating or aggressive when it comes to questioning"

As I tried processing his words, I kept thinking about how Simon would feel about this. What if she tells me things about him or their past that he doesn't want me to know about? Price snaps his fingers, breaking me out of my zoned-out thoughts, "Rose?, are you okay to do it? I need to know you understand" he spoke softly. I let out a soft smile, "Yeah, no you got it, sir.. I'm on it" he nods his head and sways his arm toward the door, "Good luck kid."
______________________
As I headed to Med Bay I saw Simon walking from the opposite direction, "Morning sir" I said with a smirk stopping in the middle of the hall hoping he would engage back. He chuckles, "Why, what's the honor of bumping into you this morning, Rose?" He folded his arms with an eyebrow arched, "Duty calls, and yourself?" I questioned, and he shrugs "Might relax today after yesterday.." his demeanor slightly changed. I took notice as his arms fell slowly back down to his sides and his eyes shifted away from mine. "Get some rest Lt, you need it and deserve it" His eyes creased slightly, and nodded "Well don't let me hold you up, catch you later?" He asks as he walks backward keeping contact with me, "see you later, Simon" I teased quietly.

Our footsteps trail off and I continue my way towards med bay.