9. Chapter Nine.

I reclined upon the comforting expanse of my maternal bed, a mixture of anticipation and nerves bubbling within me.

The climax of this momentous occasion hung in the air, the revelation of whether the precious life growing within me would emerge as a girl or a boy. I was now eight months pregnant with only a month left to for my beautiful baby to grace this world.

Across the room, a lively chorus of voices emanated from the twins and their mother, infusing the atmosphere with a vibrant energy.

As her lips parted, her words unfolded like tendrils of smoke, each one steeped in the rich brew of her life's journey. "You know," she began, her eyes gleaming with a mixture of nostalgia and certainty, "My family's history is adorned with a unique legacy – the presence of twins. It's as if the universe has woven a pattern through generations, a pattern that now whispers to me about Rena. You two are both evidence of that," she spoke to the twins.

"It is said that genetics in general on the mother's side contribute to the probability of having fraternal twins too." Verona smiled.

"But mother your not the one having a baby, Rena is and as we've all seen Rena's side of her family doesn't carry twins." Nico stated.

"Whatever! My point is Rena's been eating like she's feeding three babies, it's not impossible for her to have twins." I rolled my eyes at Verona's statement as they continued to have a heated discussion.

Meanwhile, my gaze locked onto Dimitri. The way he stared ahead showed just how much he was hanging onto every word, as if the secret of the universe was about to be revealed. You could practically see his wish for a son written all over his face, etched there like a tattoo on his heart.

His unwavering presence by my side offered a sense of unity and shared purpose, soothing the fluttering emotions that danced within.

Meanwhile, the doctor's diligent preparations foreshadowed the impending application of the cool, diagnostic gel upon my expectant abdomen.

In the midst of this bustling tableau, I seized the opportunity to interject a question, a brief pause in the symphony of excitement.

"So, let's say the universe decides we're in for a daughter," I tossed the thought to Dimitri, my words a smoky undertone in the symphony of the room.

A calculated smile curved his lips, his response carrying the weight of a seasoned strategist and a tender heart.

"Should the stars align for a daughter, she'll be raised to wield influence and hold her own," he began, his words echoing both his command and his protective instinct.

"However, between us, a son aligns with my aspirations, embodying the legacy I wish to perpetuate, we'll just have to continue making babies until we get a boy."

"I'm not some kind of baby factory, Dimitri," I hissed, my tone sharp as I fixed him with an unyielding glare.

Those dark and brooding eyes, which had the uncanny ability to make my heart race and knees tremble, now flickered with a hint of amusement, the corners crinkling as if daring me to keep up.

His laughter erupted, a deep and rich sound that seemed to resonate within the very air between us.

I couldn't help it; his amusement was contagious, and soon, I found myself chuckling alongside him, the tension that had been simmering just moments before evaporating like mist in the morning sun.

Amidst our shared laughter, his voice cut through, the lightness in his tone a stark contrast to his previous intensity. "I'm just playing around, baby girl. Though I wouldn't mind having a little guy to raise someday," Dimitri admitted, his gaze softening as he met my eyes.