22. Chapter Twenty-Two.

My father's reaction was nothing short of a rollercoaster of emotions. As I revealed the life-altering truth about being a mother, my father appeared utterly bewildered and taken aback. His usually composed demeanor gave way to a flurry of confusion and shock.

His voice, which had always been commanding, now quivered with disbelief as he implored me to confirm the astonishing news. "Hold on, Rena," he stammered, his words faltering in the face of such an unexpected revelation. "Did I... Did I hear you correctly? Can you... can you please repeat what you just said?"

In that moment, I observed a storm of sentiments playing across his features. Initially, there was an unmistakable cloud of confusion that shrouded his expression, like a dense fog concealing his understanding. This confusion, however, swiftly transitioned into a profound sense of disbelief, as if he were grappling with the notion that this reality was indeed unfolding before him.

"You are joking, right?" he asked, his tone devoid of humor, making it clear that he found no amusement in the situation. His words came swiftly before I could offer any additional clarification.

"No, I'm not joking, Liam," I repeated, my voice resolute as I affirmed, "I am a mother to a beautiful boy named Demitrius."

My father, usually a pillar of composure and thoughtfulness, found himself temporarily rattled by my revelation. He paused, his mind working to process the unexpected information I had just shared.

"Rena," he began, his voice regaining its steadiness as he sought further clarification, "Are you telling me that you have a child, that I am a grandfather, and that this man is the father at such a young age?" His gaze bore into mine, seeking confirmation.

Not wanting any conflict to escalate between the two, I subtly signaled to Dimitri that I would handle the conversation from here as he went to have a seat next to us.

"Are you absolutely certain?" he inquired, his eyes searching mine for any signs of discomfort.

"Yes, I'm sure," I reassured him.

"Then he's staying!" my father insisted firmly pointing his finger at Dimitri who looked completely unbothered, "He's just as involved in this as you are."

"Water please," I requested seeing my father on the brink of fainting as he held onto his head before slumping in the sofa in front of me.

I handed the water to him I receive from the maid mere seconds later, and he took a sip, seemingly calming down.

"You a-adopted him or something?" he stuttered in shock, clearly taken aback by the revelation.

"No," I replied with honesty, "I gave birth to him."

This was certainly not going the way I wanted it to although I knew it would be difficult for him to digest.

My father's eyes widened, a mix of shock and realization dawning on him. "Demitrius," he echoed, seemingly working through the name. "When did all of this happen?" Curiosity was evident in his voice, but a hint of apprehension lingered as well.

"It all happened during the time I was away," I responded cautiously, my words laced with a hint of sarcasm, as if to emphasize the irony of the situation.

Of course it happened while I was away but what did he expect?

"He's just three days old," I added, my voice softening as I spoke about my son, a sense of warmth and protectiveness enveloping me as I shared this intimate detail with my father.

I took a deep breath, feeling the weight of my father's inquisitive gaze compelling me to provide further explanation. "Liam, one of the reasons I left the second time was because I discovered I was pregnant. I realized that if I stayed, both you and my stepmother would have insisted on me having an abortion, and that was a choice I couldn't bring myself to make."