Chapter 2 - Shadow's POV

River meowed as I poured my cup of hot coffee. "I know, River," I said, "but maybe Rouge is right! Maybe I could actually have a full day off! That's always a possibility!" River climbed up onto the counter and meowed directly at me, almost like she was reminding me of the last few "days off" I had had.

"Look, I'm gonna look on the bright side of this day for once. That might be all I'm needing to do!" As if my luck had vanished, my phone rang from the side. River gave a side eye expression, which I responded with by sticking out my tongue. So what? This could possibly be Rouge telling me she had succeeded, or Vanilla asking me to watch Cream.

It was Commander Tower.

"Hello?" I answered, trying my best to not sound annoyed. It didn't seem to work, as Commanded responded, "I know you're not exactly the happiest that I called you on your day off, but this mission will be quick and simple. G.U.N. has an abandoned warehouse that is no longer used far out east from Station Square. It hasn't been used in six years, or at least it's not supposed to be. Lately there has been some unusual activity in that area, mainly near or in the warehouse, from what our radars have detected. All you need to do is go there and figure out what the hell is going on there. Then you can have your day off."

I frowned. "That is all I have to do?" "Yes," he replied, "and I will not bother you again. You will also be paid double your usual, as no one else is willing to go; not even Rouge is. You're the only one left who is perfect for this kindif mission." I sighed. It didn't seen like "no" would be taken as an answer then.

"I'll report to you once I'm done, Commander," I said, then hung up on him. River gave me an "I-told-you-so" look. I signed. "Okay, so maybe you were right, River," I said. "It's not that long, though! I just have to search an abandoned warehouse, and then I'm done! We can go to Smiley Bean and get you a Pet Cup."

She meowed, then hopped down and headed to her cat bed. I smirked, grabbing my motorcycle keys. "See ya whe I get home, River." And I waltzed out of my apartment.

Ten minutes later...

"Ugh, this warehouse was so hard to get to," I thought, parking my motorcycle next to the overgrown warehouse. The forest around this place was incredibly thick, and it was hard to trek through, even with my motorcycle.

"Doesn't look like there are any lights on inside," I thought, looking at the warehouse. "It doesn't look like anyone's been here in years..." Until I noticed that a door was slightly open, enough for someone my size to slip through. Someone was definitely here.

Cautiously, I slid through the opening in the door and ducked into the shadows immediately. Something about the atmosphere felt...off. Like I was being watched by something. Or someone.

That's when, the sound of a record player playing some orchestra popped on out of the blue, startling me. Curious, I crept towards the sound, and saw a faint light coming from behind a few giant crates. Someone was definitely here.

I pulled out my gun, then jumped around the corner yelling, "You're under arrest for trespassing!" But I stopped mid-sentence, shocked at what I saw. It was a small living space, as if someone had made it their home.

A giant old rug lied on the floor, with a couch on one side and a table on the other. A refrigerator was there too, and it somehow seemed to be operational. There were tons of blankets scattered across the rug, along with a few novels.

"Someone certainly made themselves at home," I thought, putting away my pistol. I examined the living space, checking for anything else unusual or suspicious. Who could possibly be living here? Hardly anyone knew about this place!

"You should leave..." a voice whispered behind me. I turned around with the gun in my hand, but no one was there. Immediately I prepared myself in case of an ambush. They weren't gonna take me down without a fight. "You've ruined everything I've strived for once, hedgehog," the voice whispered again, "and even though this scenario is different from the last, I'm not letting you ruin what I've worked so hard for again."

Out of nowhere, someone knocked me forward, causing me to drop my gun. Before I could even stand, I pinned down and forced to look down. "Stop fighting and this won't be painful," the voice said harshly. "I don't want to hurt you, but I will if I have to."

As much as I wanted to fight back, my body simply froze. A rag quickly covered my nose and mouth, and before I could react, I blacked out.