From the Start

Sorry for slow update! Life has been cruel. My vacation was cancelled because of the weather and had to stay in a rented house until we could go home. Then I had to visit my ma's place (it's been shitty bc of her friend but I still love her for keeping an animal like him), and thEN since school is almost starting and I had to move schools, and my old school wouldn't sign my report card and scholarship bc they don't want to let me transfer so it's hella sick and I wanna cry my heart out(༎ຶ‿༎ຶ)
Anyway I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, as KRS is rather good at navigating his feelings lol.

*~*

Life wasn't fair. On sometimes felt that way about hers, as well as her brother's. 

Others were born fortunate and had everything they wanted served on a golden platter with just one snap of a finger. There were people who were born into a happy family, who grew up strong and mighty despite not having much money as those who are wealthy. 

On had neither of those. She was a mutant cat who had the blood of the Ruler of the Fog tribe running through her veins. Although her brother and herself were successors of the Cat Tribe, their elders deemed them useless and tried to kill them. 

Luckily, On and Hong were strong enough to escape the evil schemes of their corrupted minds unscathed but it didn't make her any less than weak. 

They faced many unfortunate events after their escape, moreover faced people who were blessed by the gods to live a happy life. It wasn't that she opposed to that, On was normally quite happy to see children not having to face the same cruelty as they did. 

But she felt so... insecure. Jealous. Envious. 

Why couldn't it be her?

In her heart, On had always felt that she and Hong could've lived a better life had they been stronger, more powerful, yet she didn't possess those abilities. Or if they were anything else than who she was, they could have lived decently, happier and free from depraved minds.

Cale Henituse took her and her brother in but that wasn't enough to instill trust. She believed that one day, somehow, Cale would leave them. One day she would wake up back in an alleyway with nothing to feed her or her brother. On learned that the hard way how many people did so for sickening reasons. Once he finds out what she was, what they really were, he would leave them in a ditch somewhere to die.

However he was different from the rumours. At least, he wasn't cruel towards animals and was surprisingly incredibly affectionate. Cale Henituse was an amazing person. On couldn't speak for all the other rumours she'd heard. 

It's not like he had any hidden motive, right?

He just helped them. He took them in, fed them, swaddled them in a blanket, and slept peacefully. He and that other guy— Rock, Roksu? Rok Soo? Yes, they discussed about plans that were rather intriguing out loud for them to hear. But they didn't involve hurting them, so she was fine with how suspicious they were. 

On wasn't a selfish person, but On didn't want to let go. She didn't want to lose this. She knew well enough that she couldn't trust him but On didn't want to let go of Cale's warmth. 

She wanted everything that Cale had to offer and so much more. 

From Rok Soo, his words were exactly “Cale wouldn't hurt you even if he did find out” yet his following words were then “but he is indifferent towards children”. Not only did it increase her anxiousness, it also made her more nervous than before. She didn't know why and she didn't care. 

She never slept in the cold anymore. She never went hungry, or had to worry about warm food ever again because there will always be food on the table. Rok Soo and Cale gave them everything they needed. Whether it be comfort or medicine, Rok Soo was particularly understanding towards them.