Chapter 9

Kaira's breath stopped. Puja was only for family members. The Singhanias had reached and the Maheshwaris were travelling so they'd not be attending. All those who were left were.....

"Dida!" Roohi yelled running to the door as two people stepped into the Goenka Mansion.

Kaira slowly turned to look over at Akshara and Abhinav. Akshara had frozen, knuckles white as she clutched Aarohi's hand for support, face losing all colour once she spotted Abhimanyu.

Abhinav, who had never met Abhimanyu didn't notice the change in the air until his eyes fell on Akshara's terrified expression and Kaira's worried glance. He watched as Roohi was the only one who excitedly greeted the Birlas.

Manjari walked in with a thaal and stood in front of Karthik and Naira, not before shooting a withering glare towards Akshara.

Akshara flinched as Abhinav and Aarohi stood in front of her in silent solidarity.

Kaira felt some courage seep back in when she saw that. You're not alone Akshu Di.

"Salgira mubarak ho Karthik-ji, Naira-ji." Manjari forced a smile as she gave Naira the thaal. Naira politely smiled and accepted her gift.

"Acha hua aap aa payi Manjari-ji."

"Arrey aise kaise nahi aate, itne saalon baad aap dono apni salgira mana rahe hain."

Karthik nodded politely and gestured to introduce keerit and Naksh. "Aap Keerti aur Naksh ko toh jaante hi hain."

"Namaste."

"Haan haan, lekin bohot din hogaye milkar. Aakri baar shayad shaadi mein hi mile the."

Akshara flinched again.

Kaira stepped up in front. "Manjari aunty. Kaisi hain aap? Aaru Di bata rahi thi ki aapki tabiyat kuch theek nahi thi?"

"Arrey Kaira beta. Main bilkul theek hoon."

"Abhimanyu, Manjari Aunty aapko kisi se milwana tha. Yeh hain Abhinav Sharma, mere Jiju."

Abhimanyu stilled when Kaira said the word Jiju for someone else. He awkwardly folded his hands in a namaste, Abhinav returning the stiffed gesture. Abhimanyu didn't dare to look over Abhinav's shoulder, he couldn't face Akshara just yet.

"Arrey aap sab khade kya hain, chaliye, puja mein baiththe hain. Pandit-ji kuch der mein shuru karne hi waale hain." Naira ushered everyone inside.

The guests were seated and the puja commenced. Naira squeezed Karthik's hand, making him untense his shoulders. After that incident, the Birlas and Goenkas didn't meet often. Aarohi used to keep two separate parties for Roohi's birthday. 

They thought it was best if they maintained distance. The last time they were all under the same roof was at Neil's funeral.