Chapter 10

Abhinav hurried up the stairs to Akshara's old bedroom, halting at the door, heart sinking. Issi ka dar tha.

Akshara was sitting on the bed, wringing her fingers, anxious. On the verge of a panic attack.

Abhinav's heart broke at the way Akshara struggled to not let the tears fall. In his six years as a married man, Abhinav had only one mission-- to never bring Akshara to such a state again.

And he had remained true to that promise. In their six years of their little home in Kasauli, Akshara had never had a panic attack. The last time Abhinav saw her like this was when Abhir was three months old.

Six years ago......

"Akshara-ji, hum ghar aagaye."  Abhinav slipped off his shoes, carrying the two heavy bags of baby diapers and a cute little cow stuff toy he couldn't resist not buying for his Nikke-ji.

The house was eerily quiet. They had moved from Pathankhot just a couple of weeks back with Abhinav's new job. Akshara and Abhir took to Kasauli like a fish to water, loving the environment. Akshara even joined a nursery school as a music teacher that allowed her to take Abhir along with her.

In the past year, ever since he met Akshara, Abhinav's life had been filled with a colour he had never seen before. He had a skip in his step, a tune in his words. He looked forward to going home now. Because unlike before, he was welcomed with smiles and giggles. 

He was welcomed by Abhir's shrieks bouncing off the walls. He was welcomed by Akshara's anklet sounds coming towards the door to welcome him. 

He no longer returned to a dull, colourless and quiet house. Nowadays, he came home.

His home. Abhinav's home.

The home that Akshara gave a name to. Sharma Nivas.

They were the Sharmas now. 

'Surname nahi hain toh kya hua, hum apne aap se ek surname rakh lenge.' Akshara had said, when Abhir was a few weeks old and they were registering their marriage at the courthouse. 'Ab aapke Nikke-ji hoga-- Sharma-ji ka bete.'

"AKSHARA-JI?!" He called out louder this time. "Kahi aaj koi doctor appointment toh nahi tha?" But Akshara would have called him, not like he could forget anything related to his beloved Nikke-ji. 

"Aksha-" Abhinav paused as he found Akshara in the room, Abhir sleeping peacefully in his cradle. Akshara sat at the edge of the bed, looking up at the moon. But something was different today.

Her knuckles were white from clutching the bed sheet too tight. Her shoulders trembled with trying to keep her sobs inside her to not wake the sleeping baby.

"Akshara-ji?"  Abhinav whispered, tip toeing near her so that he didn't startle her.

Akshara looked at him, hand slapped over her mouth to stifle her sobs, her cries growing as she noticed Abhinav.

Abhinav immediately set the bags down and took Akshara's hand, leading her out to the garden, making her sit on the steps. "Akshara-ji ,kya hua aapko?"

Akshara remained frazzled, hiccups stopping her from being able to talk.

"Ek minute main aapke liye paani lata hoon." He ran in and ran back out to Akshara's side.