Chapter 13

The Goenkas and Sharmas sighed as they finally reached home, the kids running out. 

"Nani!" Ruhi ran into Naira's arms, sniffling. "Poppy ghar kab aayenge?"

Naira picked the little girl up, placing her hand on her head. "Daro mat Ruhi, kal Poppy ghar aajayenge, theek hain. Aapne khaana khaya?"

Ruhi nodded no, rubbing at her eyes, red from crying. 

"Aao, dinner karte hain. Aap sab bhi jaldi fresh hokar aa jaye."

Just as the rest entered, Abhir grabbed Kaira's blazer, tugging at the sleeve to get her attention. "Kya hua Abhir?"

The rest of the family stopped, to see what Abhir wanted. 

"Yeh Abhimanyu kaun hai maasi?"

The family froze, not knowing how to answer to the little boy.

"Woh...." Kaira stumbled over her words. "Ruhi ke tauji hain. Mile the na unse party main."

"Aur mere kya lagte hain?" 

Muskaan clenched her fists, she had come down to greet the family but regretted her decision. Kaira tried to control her erratic breathing, accidentally looking up to meet Akshara and Abhinav's eyes.

Akshara was on the verge of a panic attack and Abhinav......poor Abhinav. He looked like somebody had already snatched his whole world from him.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she looked Abhir right in the eye and with a firm voice, she let her next words echo through the house. "Abhimanyu tumhare koi nahi lagte."

Akshara looked scared and conflicted while Abhinav looked guilty. 

"Bas Aarohi Maasi ke sasural waalon mein se hain. Viasa koi direct rishta nahi hain tumhara unke saath." Kaira smiled at Abhir, the boy taking the explanation and running off to his Nani.

Sorry Abhir, tujhse jhooth bol rahi hoon, lekin tumhare zindagi mein sirf ek papa ki jagah hain, aur woh hain Abhinav Jiju ki.

But her words were more to clear any lingering doubt in Akshara's mind rather than Abhir's. She walked towards Akshara, speaking only when the rest of the family was out of earshot.

"Maine jo kaha, sahi kaha. Abhir aur Abhimanyu ke beech koi rishta nahi hain. Samjhe aap Di?" Akshara looked at Kaira with shock.

"Main..."

"Nahi! Aapke guilt ko aapko ussi din maar dena chahiye tha jab Abhir ke birth certificate par apne Abhinav Jiju ka naam likhwaya tha. Itne saalon ke baad aapke andar achanak se Abhimanyu ke hak ke baare main khayal nahi aa sakte! Please inn already uljhe hua rishte ko sach kehne ke chakkar main aur math uljhaye."