15: match day

PABLO

after the inspirational speech from our coach, we all banged on the table in unison, chanting 'vamos españa!' unanimously. i felt like i was pushing all my anxiety away while rejoicing with the team.

it sounds corny, but they really did make me feel at home, even in my nervous states. i was beyond grateful for them.

"come on, hermano. we're doing this now." pedri whispered, patting my back. i dapped him up, showing him my appreciation.

the noise fading in from outside was indescribable. thousands of cheerful and determined voices, competing to be  the loudest. my ears stung from the roaring chants ( all in spanish too!)

tightening my grip on the kid's hand i was holding, i drew a sharp breath, before stepping from floor to grass. the screams were even louder.

my heart swelled with pride, as i witnessed the red and yellow flag being displayed in different ways; painted on faces, worn on jerseys, or just being waved like a battle trophy.

man, i love being spanish.

the little boy i was holding onto, peered up at me with a twinkle of wonder in his eyes. i smiled back, feeling as though i was grinning at a mirror from 12 years ago - at six year old gavi.

we had the same big, brown eyes and curious gaze.

both teams lined up in uniform organisation, with the kids standing in front of each player - you get the idea.

i held my head up high, hearing the national anthem of my country begin to play. the proud sensation restarted, and i almost felt myself tear up. i decided to bite my bottom lip, to avoid crying.

applause followed as our anthem ended, but quickly died down when costa rica's national anthem began to play.

we'd just had half time, and spain was already thrashing costa rica by 4-0. torres had just shot in another goal after the penalty he'd taken.

around 20 minutes were spent running back and forth aimlessly - this was especially true for me as a midfielder.

just when the game was beginning to get boring, i saw balde and a few others rush towards the opponent's goal, which clicked something in my brain almost immediately.

my pace picked up rapidly, switching which foot was on the ground in split seconds. i made speedy exhales; it felt like i was running for my life.

all it took was a speedy assist from trusty number 14, and i swiftly slid the ball into the goal - the keeper foolishy fell on his stomach in defeat.

when i tell you i screamed louder than i ever have, i am not overstating.

torres and balde sprinted over to engulf me in a brotherly embrace and celebrate our victory. my smile couldn't even be measured in metres.

the knowledge that morena was watching too, just made me more excited. i tried to get a glimpse of her before pedri jumped on my back in celebration.

he got down and i hugged him tighter than i ever have, while we both screamed in eachother's faces. we weren't even saying words at one point, we just yelled in utter excitement.