17: slam punk

MORENA

hungrily slurping down what was left of our boba, we made our way into the sport centre to meet the guys. thanks to pedri being my cousin, i had a respectable rep within their team. they were pretty much familiar with zainab too, so nothing would be awkward.

the building seemed really clean, but it's smell kinda reminded me of a hospital or really modern library: difficult to describe, i know.

my feet were forming blisters from walking so far, since neither zainab, nor i could drive (legally, anyway.)

we began to worry about possibly being lost, and zainab urged me to text pedri and ask of his whereabouts ...

... that was when we heard his shrieking laughter from the basketball court.

"oh my gosh, i thought i heard a little girl scream." i sarcastically exclaimed, earning a cackle from zainab and some others on the team.

"ay, prima de pedri!" ansu greeted, jogging up to fist bump me. he waved 'hi' to zainab, before miguel swaggered over to kiss her cheek.

"outta here with that." pedri winced, shaking his head. he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

the rest of the team said their hello's and then carried on with their various missions.

zainab engaged in a conversation with her boyfriend, whilst i tried to get my cousin interested in my nails,

"look, gems." i smiled, shoving my hand in his face and wiggling my fingers.

"que bonito! ok, can i play against álvaro now?" he said, impatiently. i rolled my eyes, permitting him to play his 'manly' sport.

francisco, or fran garcia, walked up to me standing alone in a corner. i wasn't the slightest bit upset though, i was admiring my nails.

"wondering where gavi is, huh?" he smirked, but his tone was very friendly. i smiled up at him.

"yeah," i sighed.

"it's okay, he's with pau and ferran at the claw machine thing." fran explained, causing me to sigh once more. utter childishness.

a few boring minutes dragged by, and i finally saw pablo enter the court with the two other footballers. (both named torres.)

the boy's eyes practically lit up like new york on new year's day. swiftly, he rushed over to me and pulled me into a tight hug.

"i'm happy to see you." he mumbled into my neck, as i took in the strong scent of his cologne. i kissed his hand, indicating how happy i was to see him too.

"you look cute today." i complimented, watching his shy smile return.

"gracias, amor. quieres jugar al balancesto conmigo?" pablo offered, enthusiastically. he acted like a golden retriever that was offered a gane of fetch - i could see his invisible tail wagging.

"estoy demasiado cansada." i lied. the true reason was that i didn't wanna show off too much in front of the team.

i heard ansu scoff, "scared to break a nail, princesa?" he teased, unknowlingly blowing a fuse in my brain.

"right, give me that ball." i ordered pedri, who followed without question. i could here zainab cheering me on.

"show these fools!" she whooped. best hype woman ever.

my dribbles were short and quick; i enjoyed doing little trick moves where i would change directions in an instant. most of all, my shots were precise, and made it into the hoop each time.

needless to say, i was a total pro at it, and my nails remained in perfect condition.

performing a mini victory dance, i strolled towards ferran, who was holding a bottle of water. fortunately, he offered me the rest of it because i was partched.

pedri and gavi jogged over to me in a few seconds to congratulate me.

"i've never seen you play like that!" my cousin gasped, giving me a 'proud of you' punch on the shoulder.

pablo told me to follow him, and i did without protest. the court made me feel sweaty anyways.

we sat down in an empty café. i was listening to pablo tell me about his day; i loved how fast his words came out when he was expressing emotion. and he used his hands alot, but i knew that was just a spanish thing.

"how was your day, rena?" he questioned, leaning on my shoulder and taking my hand.

i let out a tired hum, "it was nice... peaceful." i answered, feeling his head nod against my skin. it was like being nuzzled by a horse.

he carefully ran his fingers along my nails, tracing around the gems with curiousity.

"did you do this today?" he mumbled, playing with my fingers.

"mhm, zainab and i went."

pablo paused, "why didn't you bring me, huh?" he asked, his tone seemed like he'd just been betrayed.

i chuckled, "you wanted to get your nails done?"

pablo brought his body away from mine, abruptly. he seemed outraged, but i knew he was faking it.

"why not!" he shrugged, resulting in both of us snickering at his outburst.