Taking Requests

It's 2:30 now. After lunch I had my first math, english, and science class of the year. Just like schools for teens that don't have powers, GATE has normal classes too. Although, GATE mainly focuses on powers, and anything related to it.

The end of my first school day was near. Only thirty more minutes until the bell would ring signaling dismissal. I was sitting in back of the class as usual. My friend Shizuo had come over earlier during class since we had free time.

"So Falen, do you plan on taking any requests anytime soon? I heard that they have some really good ones for grabs right now." Shizuo questioned me with a smile on his face. "Yes, I do. Not sure about what kind I want to take, but I'm definitely up for challenges." My tail swished back and forth slowly. Now that Shizuo had mentioned requests to me, I might just go get my first one after the bell. The requests are divided into different skill levels that correspond with your grade. The requests can be really challenging and long, while others are simple. No matter the request, there's always a reward offered. That's one of the ways I make money. It's a lot of work, but I don't mind. I enjoy doing it.

"Hey Falen, the bell is about to ring. Want to come with Keita, Riku and I to look at requests?" Shizuo asked while standing up to put get his things ready to leave. I accepted his offer and stood up too. As I did, the sound of a loud bell could be heard. Despite annoying ringing noise it made, everyone enjoyed the sound of it because it signaled freedom. People immediately stood and pushed through the door. Instead of leaving right away, I stood next to Shizuo, waiting for Riku and Keita to gathering their things and join us. I never really talked to Riku much. Keita and I have talked more though. For awhile, Keita and I were the only demons enrolled in GATE, but this year I think more are starting to go here.

"Hey! Falen!" I turned around to see Riku smiling at me. Keita was right beside him. "What are you doing here? No offense or anything!" Riku asked, smiling again, hoping that I didn't take his question in an offensive way. Keita just stood there expressionless while listening in for an answer. Before I could say something, Shizuo spoke up. "You see, I invited Falen to come with us to the request board. We were just waiting on you two." I nodded, looking back at Riku and Keita. "Are you doing one with us?" Keita's tone was nonchalant as usual. He stared at me without any expression present on his face. I adjusted my bag that was hanging from my shoulder before explaining. "No. I planned on doing one on my own. No offense to you guys though."

"Well then..let's get going now." Shizuo said while walking to the door. He opened it, holding it for Riku, Keita and I. After we all exited the room, we headed to the library where all the requests were. Once we finally arrived at the library, I walked ahead of the three. You see, Shizuo is pretty popular. He has a lot of charisma, so people generally enjoy talking to him. A small group of girls had walked up to him. I didn't want to socialize.

I stood in front of the board. Shizuo and his friends could catch up later. Despite only one day of school being held, many fliers were already up. I began looking over all of them, trying to find one that caught my eye. Shizuo had finally made it over to the board. Riku and Keita followed. I was staring down at two requests, trying to make a decision on which one I wanted to take. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Shizuo, Riku and Keita examining requests like I was.
"Find one yet?" Shizuo asked as he was looking down. His hazel haze was fixated on a flier while he read. Keita and Riku didn't respond, so I assumed the question was directed towards me. I held up one of the two fliers to Shizuo without saying a word. He reached over and took it. As he read it I put the other one away. I looked back at him just as he finished reading the request I chose.

"You're..going to the mountains to locate some very valuable items?" His eyes met my red gaze before averting back to the paper.
"Falen, you did read this fine print at the bottom that mentions how an ancient demonic dragon is protecting it, right?" He handed the request to Keita who had been holding his hand out waiting to read it for himself. "Yeah, I read that. I think it will be fun." I swished my tail back and forth while smiling at Shizuo. "It does sound fun, but are you sure you want to go alone? I mean, I don't doubt your power or anything, but what if something happens?" Shizuo questioned me. He had a point. Something could always go wrong, but I have a tendency to be independent with this kind of stuff. I was determined that I would do this on my own. " I'll be fine, Shizuo. Besides, I'm more into doing requests on my own." I nodded with a smile. Keita held out the request flier to me. He had finished reading it. I took it back, nodding as a way of saying thanks. I noticed that Keita had a flier of his own in hand. I'm guessing that it would be the request Shizuo, him, and Riku would be doing. "More information on the dragon would have been useful." Keita muttered to me as we all left the library to go down to the office that was right next door. That is where students take the request they want. The lady there then puts it into the system and works out smaller details such as transportation.