The Silent Gem

This was the time of the year where a decent amount of people enrolled. Since the first semester was complete, many seen it was the best time to become a student at GATE. I watched a group of about nine people walk into the front office. Since students had a break for the holidays, teachers would often assign experienced students to a new kid. They believed it allowed the new kids to get enough information before classes resume after new years.

   I shifted in my seat, my gaze still locked on the soon to be GATE students. My seat was a part of a horizontal row of seats that went along a wall. Mizu was sitting to my left and Opal was to my right. On Opal's side was Faith, Shizuo, and Riku. On Mizu's side was Iris, Tyr, and a couple unfamiliar faces.

   Our job was to sit here until each student enrolled. After everyone was finished enrolling, the lady behind the desk allowed them to choose who they want as their guide.
The overall enrollment took about ten minutes. I decided to spend the time talking to Mizu, holding his hand as our conversation carried on.

   Although, the conversation was interrupted by the voice of a middle aged woman. "The students are now enrolled. Please be quiet and give them your undivided attention as the each choose their guide.
I squeezed Mizu's hand a little to basically wish him luck. My calm red gaze met the eyes of many new students. I watched the first person pick. It was a girl with long, platinum blonde hair that had pastel pink tips. Her outfit was fairly luxurious, although it had a hint of sass and overall screamed "Give me all your attention and look at my body." I watched her walk in my direction. As she walked, her brown eyes snuck a glance of my hand that was interlocked with Mizu's.

  Next thing I know, she stopped in front of Mizu. "Hey there. I want you to show me around this place. I'm sure you know all the best places. You also look like a very strong man." A grin was plastered on her face as she spoke. I managed to keep a straight face as she talked to Mizu. She was definitely right about what she said, but her tone was just enough to identify what she was after. I had to wonder if she talks look that to every attractive male.

    Mizu simply stood up. His expression hadn't changed. "Yeah, sure." He said, in a nonchalant/uninterested  tone. Before he left, he turned to me. He placed his hands on the armrests of my seat and leaned down toward me, giving my lips a quick peck. "I'll see you later, babe." He smiled and turned away. I watched him lead that girl out of the office, the nonchalant/uninterested expression on his face once again.

In a matter of minutes, every new student had a chosen their guide. I remained in my seat, unpicked. The lady behind the desk paused her work, looking at me. "There's supposed to be one more, but I'm not sure why he/she is not here. Just wait perhaps?" I nodded at her. Instead of waiting in the chair I went out the door that leads to the parking lot. I didn't walk all the way to the parking lot, but instead I sat in one of the large trees that was next to the building. I will wait.

-----------------------------

A faint tap on the stone sidewalk could be heard. My eyes suddenly opened and I sat up. My ears were twitching as I picked up the sound of the shoes. I dropped from the tree branch and turned to face whoever was walking towards the door to the front office.

She had straight, long ebony hair. Her bangs were short, even, straight and partially covered her eyebrows. A black mask covered her face from the bridge of her nose and down. Her skin was light, she wore Japanese clothing, and had some interesting eyes. The right one had a pitch black iris, and the left one had an iris that was this weird white, clearish looking color. It reminded me of a crystal.

"You must be a new student." I said, looking at her. I then turned and entered the front office. I returned to my seat, seeing the girl enter and approach the lady at the desk. Over a span of two minutes, the girl had enrolled and the lady explained the whole guide situation. I stood up as the girl approached me. I could not read her expression, but I was perfectly okay with that.