Chapter 04

Attack Wave Ended

Defenders successful

All attackers defeated, 8 support units captured

7 defenders lost, no sectors lost

Base settlement designated as Base gains 59,236 experience. 3,943,217 experience needed for next level

The message pops up when I see Base's gate. Sucks that we lost people, but we won, that's good. We even managed to hold all the town's neighborhoods this time. A couple of years ago, we lost one of them in a wave and it reverted to wild status. Took most of a year to tame it to the point we could resettle it.

The system isn't particularly nice in the wild. One of the reason Dad won't leave Base. Even the town's too close to that for him.

"Welcome back," Base greets me cautiously. "You look to be whole."

"A little sore and banged up, but I have most of my hit points."

"Dennis Michael Carpenter!" dad snaps the instant I step through the gate, which closes behind me. If there was anyone heading this way, they're going to have to wait for this to be done with before Base opens it again.

"Dad," I start, knowing I'm wasting my time, "I was able to—"

"Don't you say anything."

I sigh. "Yes, dad."

"I told you to stay in the bunker."

He didn't; he took for granted I'd stay, but pointing that out is only going to earn me a longer scolding. He only likes technicalities when they go in his favors.

"Will," one of the older man from the group I escorted says, "your son—"

"Don't step into something that doesn't involve you, Harry," dad growls.

The man gives a sad shrug. I appreciate the effort, but there's no reasoning with my dad when he's like that.

"How could you let him out?" he demands, addressing Base.

"I wasn't given instruc—"

"Bullshit! I ordered you to—"

"You aren't my commander, William," Base replies flatly.

"Oh, wait until my father gets back. I'm going to tell him about this and he's going to wipe you—"

"The Commander already knows," Base replies.

"You're lying. He'd never let Dennis stay out there. He knows how I feel about it."

"He ordered me to escort people back," I say, and because I pray that for once he'll see I can do good, I add. "There was a Drakoling who could have hurt them, so I protected them. Then Grandpa arrived and—"

"Are you okay?" dad asks, his anger replaced by pure terror. He's manhandling me in the process of looking me over. "Do you need to see Doc Brown?"

"I'm fine, Dad." Doc Brown's the town's healer. Only the older folks call him Doc. He's Junior Brown to the rest of us. His mom was a doctor, before the system, and he took her healer class.

"You are in so much trouble," he growls. "And so are you Dennis." His tone is stern now. He points deeper within Base. "Go to your room." I start moving, barely dragging my feet. "And if I find out you had anything to do with helping him, Base, you will pay for it."

* * * * *

My confinement lasts until morning. Which means I miss the festivities, and that sucks. I don't even get to access Base's entertainment beyond the book and music library, because dad's that angry at me.