Chapter 34

"This is the lounge and dining area," Brandon says. He points to the woman behind the counter that takes up half the wall on our right. "She's in charge. Through that door is the kitchen. You go in, and the odds are you'll be what's served tomorrow. The cook hates people. That other door leads to the stairs and baths. Upstairs are the rooms."

The room is large and... I don't know. There's something of an old feeling to it. Possibly the wooden floor, which is polished by people walking on it, instead of any work from the people who placed it. You can tell by how uneven it is, following path between tables and to the bar. The walls are plastered, and have paintings, skulls and tools or weapons hanging on it. Trophies? At the back, there's a larger skull over the fireplace.

"Is that a dragon?" the long muzzle, open to show pointed teeth, the elongated skull, with horns flowing back. It definitely matches drawings I've seen.

"Yep," Brandon says with pride, and I expect he's about to claim he put it there. "First thing that got hung when the club was opened, is what I heard." Okay, so maybe he isn't quite the braggart that something about him clamors that he is. Still... I focus on the skull

Dragon Skull, quality: excellent, Art

A rendition of what a dragon skull might look like, by artist Ramona Vincent.

Taking inspiration from other dragon-like creatures of the world, as well as ancient art of the creatures human legends claim have existed at one time, Ramona fashioned what she imagine a dragon's head might be shaped as when the world is able to support their existence.

"It's a sculpture," I say, somehow hurt at the deception.

"I never claimed it was the real thing," Brandon replies with a smile.

Well, he's got me there. And I could have focused instead of asking.

My outburst has gathered the attention of the people spread throughout the room. The half we're in has tables, maybe a treen of them. Three are occupied by men and women, one group is entirely non-human. I recognize an orc, a bear-like being and one that's scaled, but doesn't have the lizard-like head I'm expecting.

"The club as a complete non-discrimination rule," Brandon whispers when he notices me watching them. "If you have a problem with them, it's best you keep it to yourself."

I look away before it turns into staring, and the system pops a window. "I'm fine with them. Court's the same way. I just haven't seen many of them. More today than in my entire life."

The other half, the one with the fireplace, has plush looking seats, some close to the fire, others clustered together. Other than one cluster of four people, the men and women there sit alone. Some are looking up from a book, other were staring before them. One was swiping the air, removing any doubt as to what she are doing.

The other things they have in common is that they look older. Like they were born before the system. I turn to ask Brandon if that part of the room is for the old folks, but he's already heading to the counter.

It's wood, the front made from one slab of wood with carved panels. The foot rest looks to be brass, or bronze, same as the legs on the stools. The woman on the other side is older, at least forty. Her skin is almost the same color as the foot rest's metal. Her hair is curly and so golden it might be glowing.

"Marygold!" Brandon exclaims as he reaches the bar, arms extended and leaning over to embrace her. "How is the brightest woman in all of Toronto?"

"She's not letting a man covered in blood touch her, that's for sure." She has a hand covered with a washcloth against his chest.