Chapter 08

A class is available for your selection

How?

How is there a class available out here? There's nothing.

"Hello?" I call out.

A class means someone instead of a node. How far do they have to be for the system to consider them as valid? A quarter kilometer or something? I don't remember the number, but I know it's one of those cases where the system isn't working in treens of treens, like most of its large numbers.

"Hello!"

Shit, what if it's Rich? Back to... what? Scare me to death? That can't work, since this is telling me there's someone.

I call up the list of available classes before they walk away.

Lists of available classes

Explorer

That's... that could be Rich's class, with him running all over the place.

Never heard of it, though.

I call up its basic description. Right now isn't the time to get info dumped on.

System Query: Class, Explorer

Explorers are those who need to know what's out there. They will research it, or go discover it, or confront it directly. Those who select this class rarely stay in one place for long, being driven to know what else is out there.

Explorers gain +1 in Intelligence, Health, Endurance, and 2 skill points per level

When selecting this class, you gain the skill Drawing(cartography specialization). If the skill is already present, it is increased by 3 levels.

Core Ability: Direction Sense(Locations)

That's ...not bad.

It would have been nice to get a strength bonus, but health and endurance means my stamina and hit points will go up without having to do anything about it. And who'd say no to more intelligence.

A direction sense is nice; not that I'll need it once I'm back home.

"List the class abilities that don't have prerequisites. Name only."

System Query: Class Abilities, Explorer, truncated

Field Research, Maximum Ranks: 11

Momentum, Maximum Ranks: 16

Planning ahead, Maximum Ranks: 26

Taking it on the Nose, Maximum Ranks: 51

That looks research heavy, although Taking it on the Nose sounds fighting related, that would come in handy as a guard. I call up its description.

System Query: Ability, Taking it on the Nose

Your endurance is 50% more effective when soaking up physically related damage. Additional ranks increase the effectiveness by 1%

I whistle. That's fifty ranks later, but a doubling of damage absorption is nothing to sneeze at, and while it's not one for one, since I can get ability points from Quest more frequently than attribute points, my endurance will have gone up too.

With that, Dad's not going to have a choice but to let me be a guard.

My enthusiasm dips. No, Dad might still force me to do crafting. Like they all tell me, my class doesn't define what I do.