Chapter 12

My nerves lighten with the rain.

I don't know how far I made it during the downpour, since while I know in what direction Court is, my ability doesn't tell me how close it is. I doubt I've made a lot of progress as slow as I've been walking.

The rain made it impossible to hear anything over it hitting the canopy, or see more than a meter around me. In a forest with I have no idea how many animals and monsters, I didn't feel like running, or even walking fast.

Now, I can see far enough it's the trees blocking my sight, and I'm sure that once my ears stop ringing, I'll be able to hear something approaching. I still move carefully. I think we walked into the forest for a couple of hours before reaching the power station, but time wasn't what I paid attention to. When Rich wasn't distracting me, the forest was.

The ground squishes with each step and I try not to let that stress me. Noises attracts monsters is one of the first thing Grandmother taught us. If we find ourselves in the wild for some reason, be as quiet as we can. That, and listen carefully.

Perception check Failed

With how many of those I've failed since starting to walk, I've got to be getting close to gaining a level. I've set those messages down to the bottom left so they'll stop obscuring my sight every few minutes.

I find out the clouds are mostly gone as I approach a clearing and the sun shines through the canopy.

I stop, surrounded by light breaking into rainbowed sparkles on the raindrop covered trees. I look up and, in the haze of misted water, every beam that makes it through openings in the leaves is visible. Lines of light, some tinted green, fall everywhere.

I'm tempted to thank Rich for taking me out here, letting me see this. But I'm standing here in spite of him, not because, so he can still go fuck himself.

But I am glad I get to see this.

The forest can be beautiful in a way Court can't be. At least, I got to see this once in my—

My head snaps to the left as something flashes there

Perception check Successful

I scan through the trees. Making a perception check doesn't mean I get information as to what I noticed. The flash gives me the area, but it could have been a leaf falling, a rat skittering about, or some monster poking its head around a tree to prepare an attack. If this was somewhere I planned on spending time, I'd invest points and training in skills that would be relevant: tracking, sound identification, if that's a skill. Base can give me a list if I want to find out what I'd want.

Whatever it was, I can't make it out, so I turn to back toward Cour—

Wow.

In the center of the clearing is an animal I've never seen

Antilope, level 8

Cryptozoology check failed

That's definitely a skill I'd get if I was going to spend time here.

It's... big, but stands on surprisingly thin legs. It grazes the grass, its wide antlers almost scraping the ground. They, too, are thin and delicate looking. Water glistens on its chestnut colored pelt.

It raises its head, looking in the direction I had. I check again and make out nothing. When I look at the Antilope again, it's looking in my direction.

I...

Well, if it wanted to attack, I'd be dead.

It goes back to grazing the grass, its head snapping in my direction when my foot squish as I back away. I'm not pressing my luck against a level eight animal. I make it four steps before it's grazing again, and I turn toward Court.