Chapter 27

"Everyone," Herbert calls as me and Sasha end our patrol at the front of our carts. "Make sure your weapons are ready." He's scanning the tree line, which feels closer to the road. "We just left Court's civilization range."

"That means we're completely in the wilderness now," Sasha explains.

"Right." Settlements lower the surrounding wilderness. Grandmothers told us that multiple times, and dad can go on and on about it since it means just stepping into the forest is more dangerous than the fields lining it. But because leaving was never my plan, I never paid too much attention. "Does it mean we will be attacked?"

"It shouldn't," she replies in a tone that makes me think she doesn't believe it.

"How do you know we're completely in the wilderness?" I ask Herbert, who is still scanning the tree. "I'm not seeing any difference."

"It's a scout ability," he replies.

"And can you tell how likely we are to be attacked?"

"Well, we weren't on the way to Court," he answers, as if that's enough of an explanation. "Go for your bow," he tells me.

"I'm more skilled with the sword."

"But that'll put you on the front line, and I'm sorry to say this, but you aren't skilled enough for it. We're not like the guards in Court, we aren't trained to look after the newest members, so you need to stay as far from the actual fighting as you can. Think of it this way," he adds as I'm about to protest. "You're an archer, not a swordsman, for now."

That mollifies me; a little.

Then he smiles. "But don't worry about it. This will probably be an uneventful trip."

It'd be easier to believe him if the rest of the team, as well as the drivers, weren't all on edge. Sasha taps my shoulder and we go back to our patrol.

She's silent for all of it, eyes on the trees, staff in hand.

* * * * *

Helen is going on about how, when she grew up, her plan was to be an acrobat, travel with carnivals, wow her audience, and in the dark of the night, sneak into houses and liberate valuable items.

"But that wasn't to be," she adds with a theatrical sigh. "The system had a calling for me that involved interacting with people more directly."

Her class was Messenger. I didn't have to ask; she volunteered the information. It wasn't the only thing she volunteered. I get now why she's the one handling most of the communications with the drivers and other groups.

System, does she like to talk.

Then she falls silent.

"Equip your bow," she whispered, scanning the trees, "and pick up the pace. We need to reach the others."

I equip it and get an arrow ready, trying to see what she picked up as we hurry to the others. They are on alert, too. Even the carts are slowing. Which seems like the wrong thing to do. If everyone expects a problem, shouldn't they go faster to leave the area as quickly as possible?

"Don't you just hate the quiet?" Evelyn whispers?

I'm about to ask what she means. There are plenty of sounds around us when I realize those only come from the carts. The forest has fallen utterly silent.

"This isn't normal, is it?" I whisper, and she shakes her head.

"Max," Herbert says, "stay by Dennis."

"I don't need—"

"You're going to need arrows," Max says. "Whatever's coming is going to take longer than those twelve in your quiver."