Chapter 28

Your Archery skill has gone up. You are now level 7

Your Archery skill has gone up. You are now level 8

Your Archery skill has gone up. You are now level 9

Your Archery skill has gone up. You are now level 10

Your Archery skill has gone up. You are now level 11

Your Sword Fighting skill has gone up. You are now level 19

Your Willpower Training skill has gone up. You are now level 9

You have gained a level. You are now level 3

You have 3 skill points available. You have 1 attribute points available. You have 1 ability points available.

I whistle, then wince. My chest hurts. The meal boosted my healing speed, but I still have ways to go until my health it maxed out, therefore the pain's all gone.

Five levels in archery, just from this battle. One in sword fighting, which means I must have been close to going up already, considering how few strikes I got in. And I somehow raised my willpower skill.

And I'm level three. So more points to spend. Not that I'm spending them now. My attribute point will probably go to strength, but since I'm no longer in court, I need to rethink my plan for my abilities. I have time, so that's good. The skill points will go into new skills, Definitely leather working, and I will look for those magical repair kits. Sewing seems like a good idea. Repair my clothing, along with my armor.

On the battlefield, along with the Stoger's body by the carts, people are working. As soon as it was over, they descended on it and accessed their loots. There are none of exclamations of joy at whatever they find I'd expect from getting spoils from a fight. There's a sense of business to the proceedings. I guess that if, as Sasha and Herbert implied, this is something that happens regularly, maybe it is just business to them. The thing that gets done once the battling is over.

"If it isn't the hero of the hour," Sasha says, grinning as she approaches. "I'm surprised Daz hadn't offered to take you in and see to your injuries."

"He promised he'd stop offering that to me." My ears burn at how I'm sure Daz would have gone about seeing to them.

"He...promised?" She kneels next to me. "Just what did you give him in exchange for that to happen."

"Funny," Daz says, stepping around the cart with an arm full of the nicknacks it contained. "I do have self-restraint, you know."

"I know you do," she replies, placing a hand on my chest. "You keep it tied up in the last wagon of the caravan. This is going to take a bit. I used up most of my mana on the field."

"It's okay," I say as she starts whispering almost words. "This is going to be faster than the normal way." I close my eyes and wait.

* * * * *

"Careful."

I jerk awake as Daz keeps Sasha from tipping sideways.

"Sorry," she whispers. "I'm tapped out."

"You need to stop doing that." He looks at me. "You going to be okay?"

My health is just above three-quarter. "I'll be fine. How long was it?"

"Almost two hours." He takes her in his arm and carries her away.

I stand and stretch, trying not to wince at the soreness.