Chapter 38

"You're related?" I blurt out, reeling from the revelation.

"He's adopted," she states, looking down on him. The tone makes it clear that however that happened, she isn't happy about it. "I'm not helping you with whatever scheme you're running."

She steps back and slams the door, but Brandon keeps it from closing. It doesn't bounce. Then I notice part of her back in the gap.

"Helen," Brandon says with a sigh. "It doesn't matter how hard you try, you aren't going to move my hand." He considers something as she steps away. "Mom won't let you use magic in the house, remember?"

"Mother doesn't want me using big magic in the house," she replies.

He grins. "You think anything small's going to get me to leave?"

There's an annoyed huff, then silence. A few seconds later, Brandon gives the door a push, and it swings inward. She isn't there.

"Come on in," he says, stepping inside.

I glance at Silver, who shrugs, and I follow him. Inside, the house looks like any I've been in, except for how high the celling is. They removed the second story to make more head room. The furniture in the living room is also built for taller people, except for one chair, identical to the others, but smaller.

We find Helen in the kitchen, leaning against the counter, steaming cup in hand.

"You want anything?" Brandon asks, taking cups from the cupboard.

"Didn't you say it was her house?" I ask, uncomfortable with how freely he's acting.

"Mom and dad would really be crossed with her if she started acting like it wasn't also my house." He goes through a series of clay containers and finally looks at her. "What did you do with my tea?"

She closes her eyes as she sips, and he keeps looking at her. She sighs and opens the top cupboard, taking a clay container down.

"You're never here," she says as he opens his mouth, "and it was taking space for nothing. Just be happy I didn't throw it out."

"I'd have told dad." He puts a spoonful in a cup. "You two are okay with tea?"

I look at Helen.

"He's going to do whatever he wants," she says. "Always has."

Brandon scoffs. "Dennis, if you and Silver want to sit, there are chairs in the closet over there."

"I'm okay," I reply, because I don't feel like rummaging in someone else's house under the prompting of the person she clearly doesn't want here.

"I'm good too." Silver leans against the wall, watching the scene with a lot of attentiveness.

Brandon hands each of us a cup after adding steaming water from a kettle. "Give it a minute or two to steep." Then he leans against the counter next to his sister, breathing the aroma from his cup.

"She's an elf," he says as Silver opens her mouth.

"I am not an elf," Helen replies with the tone of someone who has endured this often. "My species is Elethkeyra."

"Way too tall and thin," he replies before blowing on the steam. "Pointy ears and an aptitude for magic say elf in my book."

"Strange how I never heard you call Father that, or Mother."

"Them, I respect."

"Brandon, aren't we here to ask your sister for help?" I say. "Shouldn't you be... nicer?"