Chapter 19 - Yes.

Ashley

The Chanel pitch was a success. With a brilliant mind like Ellie's, plus my great ideas it's no wonder it went well. The thing was, I wasn't quite sure where that left me. Recalling the conversation Ellie and I had about the position in London, I wondered whether anything would have been solidified now that we secured the ad account for such a popular company.

Things had fallen into a comfortable routine between Robin and I. She slept at my place every night, which had become the new norm for us over the past few weeks anyway. The latest edition of May's monthly magazine published recently, Robin gathering quite a bit of attention from the androgynous fashion photo-shoot she did.

It was so much attention that Ellie brought up signing the woman exclusively to her company, just to avoid losing her to a better offer. Robin gained twenty thousand followers within the first week of the publication, God only knows how they found her. When asked if she was uncomfortable with the sudden surge in popularity, she simply shrugged, muttering that it was 'fine'.

I finished curling the last bit of my hair, running my hands through it to create loose waves. The ring light offered much needed visibility, the skies suddenly darkening half hour prior. I prayed whatever bad weather would hold out until after the main event at least. The last thing we wanted was black tears and runny makeup on my best friend's special day.

"If we don't leave now, we'll be late." Robin's head poked into the bedroom.
"I'm literally done," I lied, still applying the finishing touches of my makeup.
"Uh huh..." she wasn't convinced. "I don't know why you need that shit anyway, you're perfect without it."

That was enough to make me want to jump her bones.

"You better stop it before it starts." I warned, tossing my eyeliner aside.

Robin chuckled, fully entering the room. She wore a white button up with a teal vest that was left unbuttoned. Her cream-colored suit pant made her black hair that was styled in a slick fishtail appear even darker in contrast. The tall woman disappeared into the closet, returning with two garment bags, one with the remainder of her suit and the other with my bridesmaid's dress.

I slipped my flats on, carrying the box with my heels and we quickly left the townhouse behind. Robin flicked the radio on, finding a random station playing soft, smooth jazz.

"Since when do you listen to Jazz?" I asked, a perfectly waxed brow arched at her.
"Since I almost got arrested for that road rage incident last week—it helps to keep me calm."

I giggled at the memory if the incident. I received a call that day around three in the afternoon, I could still hear Robin going back and forth with an older woman on the other end of the line.

"If you can't see, you shouldn't be driving grandma."
"If you were a better fucking driver, I wouldn't have to pull around your slow ass." The older woman yelled back.

"I will literally drop your old, demented ass, do not push me."

Then an officer was heard trying to calm the two crazy women, giving Robin a stern warning before letting them both go.

"You almost ran her off the road just to get out and argue." I pointed out, laughing at the scowl on Robin's face.

"She was a bitch, and you know it. There was absolutely no reason for her to cut in front of me like that."

I hummed, rolling my eyes as I stared out the window. Twenty minutes later we arrived at the wedding venue. It was a vineyard owned by Alex's family—the woman was filthy rich. Teal and white decorations neatly lined the gates that led to the parking lot, a stretch limo parked in the center of the vast space with gold balloons.