Chapter 2 - My Hero.

Ashley stood outside the door of the condo, still trying to catch her breath from the encounter with Robin only half hour ago. She pounded on the door and it flung open, her best friend stood there with a deep frown on her face.

"Ashley—" Jessica sighed, running a hand through her hair.

It had been something she picked up from Alex, Ashley noted. Her best friend from a few years ago would never risk tangling her curls by running her fingers through it. But now, she's turned into a mini Alex.

"It's not even 8:30am yet, what are you doing here?"

Ashley brushed past the dark-haired girl and tossed herself onto the couch like she usually did. She wanted to tell her best friend about her encounter with Robin, but somehow Jessica looked wary.

Something was clearly bothering her, so Ashley decided to put whatever she had to say on hold to try and comfort her best friend.

"Are you okay Jess?" The blonde asked her friend.

"I—" Jessica sat down beside her and her eyes were watering.

Ashley's eyes widened, Jessica sounded perfectly fine on the phone last night so seeing her this way surprised the blonde.

"Alex has her ex working for her." Jessica sniffled. "I don't like it one bit!" she cried.

The blonde sighed and wrapped her arms around her best friend. "That's the least of your worries babe."

Jessica looked confused at what she said.

"Alex is an asshole, but she isn't a cheater. She treats you like her queen and I can promise that you're the only woman she'd ever want."

Somehow, Ashley felt slightly jealous as she spoke. Jealous because she still wasn't able to find someone to care for her like that; who'd love her unconditionally.

Ben was great, but there was no spice in their relationship—at least so far. There were no surprises, no struggles...It just seemed all too easy to Ashley. She could recall the countless fights she'd had with Sean, how jealous he'd get when he saw her too close with anyone else.

"Aww, thank you Ashley; I really needed that." Jessica sighed, wiping a single tear. "So what brings you over here?"

Ashley thought for a moment and decided to keep quiet. It seemed Jessica had enough drama on her plate already. "Nothing, just checking up on you." She lied.

"And also, what the hell are you wearing?" Jessica eyed the graphic shirt.

Ashley chuckled, "It was a gift from a friend."

Ashley spent quite a few hours at her best friend's house. They made lunch together and had a Orphan Black marathon for most of the day. She enjoyed the carelessness she felt around Jessica. All of their friends had grown up, and everyone was busy—but Jessica had never been too busy for her, and vice versa.

By the time she'd gotten home, it was a little after 4pm. Her townhouse was standard sized—two bedrooms with two bathrooms on the second floor and a cosy basement below; but that didn't stop it from being extremely lonely sometimes.

Ben slept over a few nights, but that's all they ever did—sleep. She wondered if all the rumours were true, that he was a notorious ladies' man; because if it was, she was seeing no signs of it.

She called Ben to invite him to the club later in the evening, but he refused. His excuse was that he was working late. Ashley rolled her eyes as she dialled Sophie's number—her other closest friend.

"Hey babe," Sophie answered, her cheery voice floating through the phone.

"How do you feel about going to that new club tonight?"