t h r e e

yeona

Grandma told me the stories she heard around this forest during dinner.

She said, there were guardians that supposedly protect the forest, even before she was born.

"They were the most powerful in this forest and everyone feared them. They were also respected even by normal people. No one wants to cut even a single branch from this forest." She said.

"But now, they were missing and nowhere to be found. People began wondering and became worried about the guardians. They thought cutting trees and doing something illegal will lure them out, but none of them showed up. And since then, people have kept on cutting the trees, they even started a fire inside the forest." she continued as she ate some of her dinner.

"Where are they now? Did something happen to them?" I asked as I was really immersed in the story. Her face lowered and shook her head.

"No one knows what happened to them. They just vanished without a trace." She looked at me, then she suddenly smiled. "But, I have something in mind that might be related to them." I was getting sad, then my face lit up as I heard what she said. "Tell me Grandma, please. I've been eager to know what happened to them."

She laughed as she saw my reaction. "Never have I known that you're interested in this kind of story. I thought you'll tell me that it's some kind of folktale that only kids will enjoy."

I laughed as I realized it. "I never thought about it as well. It's just I'm really curious what happened to them. If only I was as powerful as them, maybe I can save them." Grandma laughed at me again.

"Okay here's what I've been thinking. Ever since the guardians started existing, an evil witch also existed back then. Everyone knows that the evil witch was really mad at the guardians since they were more powerful than her and she can't do anything about it. She might have done something to them that led to their disappearance, because there's no other one that has that much hatred towards the guardians, but only her." Grandma told me as she cleaned up our dishes. I stood up as well and helped her wash the dishes.

She went to a cabinet and reached something from it. It has a lot of packed food. Must be for her little companions to eat.

"Grandma, I wonder if there's a prophecy or something that will tell if someone will save them, or if something will happen to them and to this forest if they were nowhere to be found for many more years." Grandma looked at me, then she smiled.

"You're really into this story more than I thought." She chuckled a bit then looked at me. "There's actually no prophecy, nor a book that will tell us about how to save them or if someone is destined to save them. If someone wants to save them, then they can save them. Everyone, I think, who is capable and strong can do it. Even you." She looked at me, staring at me as if she's looking at my soul and observing how pure or evil I am. Then she averted her eyes from me and continued feeding her little companions.

"Even me?" I asked, still unsure if I heard it right. She looked at me and nodded her head. "You must be thinking, 'I'm not capable since I don't have any powers to help them', but your strong will and determination will give you strength to do anything. I can see it in you, dear." She said, which made me smile.

I really am determined to help them, but that's not enough to save them from a curse that was made by a powerful evil witch. And I don't even know where the heck they are.

After our long chat during dinner, I went outside to breathe some fresh air. I was only at the porch since it's already dark. It might be dangerous if I leave the front yard.

I sat down as I gazed above the sky. There were dozens of stars tonight, and they're shining like some light bulbs.

When I was still immersed by my stargazing, someone joined me, rather some pets joined me. It was Chan, Changbin and Jisung.

"Hello guys." They looked at me as if they were smiling at me. Chan nuzzled my leg, like he's showing affection to me. Then he laid down on top of my feet and closed his eyes. Changbin followed him after and rested his body on top of Chan.

Jisung was trying to jump so he could sit on my lap, but his jumps were too low, so I helped him. Once he was on my lap, he settled himself and slept there.

They were so adorable that I couldn't take my eyes off them. Then a cold wind passed by me, which made me shiver. Changbin must have felt that, that he suddenly woke up. Then he woke up Chan. They both looked at the front yard, then they started to run around and afterwards, they were pushing my legs.

Are they telling me something?

I stood up, holding Jisung in my arms and Changbin led me inside the house while Chan was pushing me at my legs.

I followed them, then they shut the door. It definitely made a loud sound, which startled grandma. "What happened, my dear?" She stood up and walked towards me.

"I dunno grandma, we were peacefully resting outside, then a cold wind blew past me and Changbin also felt that. He woke up Chan and they were both looking at the front yard, then they started to panic and they led me inside." Grandma nodded as she listened to my story.

"Do you have any idea what happened, grandma?" She sat back at her chair and looked at me. "Unfortunately, no my dear. But it is best that you stay inside during nighttime." I nodded at her and went to my room.

I don't know what happened back there, but I know something was there that scared them.