7 II Preparation

Dedicated to : Koi (In quotev)

-

"What are you doing?" You almost slipped and fell, maybe about to kill yourself for the second time if you didn't grip your hand tight on the railing. Thankfully and quickly, you managed to straighten yourself and act as if you didn't get shocked. You composed yourself and looked at the person below, oh it was just the young Duke with his aide following close by. 

    Hezekiah has his eyebrows raised in what seems like amusement, it seems he saw your disgraceful display but he made no comment to it. Maybe the only reason he was amused was because you almost fell down to your death. Basing from his - 61% affection meter, he'd be more than happy to get rid of you when chance gives it to him. He made effort giving you the best knights as guards though. They hate you because of your evil witch personality of course. 

    "Just enjoying the fresh air your grace." You answered and he just nodded, averting his eyes. You saw him sigh before looking up at you once more, this is the first time you saw him look up, not when everyone would almost bow down to him, including you. He's a Duke, second to the Emperor, it's only natural he gets so much respect as a high ranking noble amongst elite society. 

    The only thing staining him was his awful relationship with his now deceased mother since childhood. It's no secret that he loathed his mother more than his father. You guess having a tragic childhood equals to greatness the moment the child grows up, or either twisted mindset. 

"It's best if you go outside, at the garden." He said and you almost didn't hear it, you had to strain your ears just to hear him but you managed anyway. He continued, "There's a lot more fresh air there, you won't risk falling down the balcony."

He averted his eyes, "Dress up more warmly." his aide couldn't meet your eyes, not once did he ever look. You noticed that the other workers didn't look up once either, you shivered when a particularly cold breeze passed by. 

Before you could answer him, he walked away hastily and your eyes followed him. He's working hard today, personally attending to the problems within his walls and made solutions that require minimum effort but has huge effectiveness, he's really a good ruler.

You wonder if his words were of politeness or anything, maybe he didn't just want to see you and made you go as far away as possible? The garden you always hang out was in the opposite direction he's currently working. However your question was answered when you looked down and saw that you were wearing nightwear with nothing but a shawl to cover yourself up.

"Dammit." So that's why he told you to dress up warmly, it means to say that you absolutely cover yourself from head to toe and stop wearing revealing clothes. You groaned, you hope that man didn't think you deliberately went out in your nightgown to flash him, you'd rather get humiliated once more than ever do such a thing voluntarily.

"Whatever, let's just reply to Amadeus." You sighed, you weren't in the mood to go outside just yet, it's far too early in the morning and you weren't a morning person whatsoever. You entered your bedroom, closing all curtains and even the door leading to the balcony. You needed privacy in order to contemplate what to write back to 'your' friend without looking amnesiac or out of character. 

Amadeus is the type of person to believe in galaxy crossing and such, he's a magician or a wizard, a powerful one. He doesn't believe in anything other than things that possibly involves magic and in his definition, anything that involves soul and unexplainable things, are something to be solved by him and his magic. He'd go on many lengths just to solve his curiosity no matter what, and the moment he knew you're not his real friend, you're screwed. 

No way you'd willingly be a lab rat, you don't doubt he'll actually do it. He's one of the few person who knew Adeliza's true identity the moment they meet. Thankfully his affection for her overrides his curiosity, he wouldn't harm her no matter what. But you? Someone who's pretending and a person he didn't really have anything or connection to? You bet he'd be more than happy to magic his way in to his answer.

You took the unopened letter in your table, Amadeus sure writes a lot. His letters come in regularly and he never runs out of topics to write about, each going more and more chaotic than the last. The first one was tame, just him complaining about the uncomfy chair in his office.

 And now as you read through his letter, it's him now battling a herd of magic elephants or something because he happens to be roasting marshmallows in a forest he needed to survey. You really can't help but wonder just what kind of life this man is living in, it was far too much of an fever dream and you couldn't even think that he's telling lies, not when in this world anything is possible.

 What would you even reply?

 This is very bad for you, it's mentally taxing to even think of an reply. You're a dry texter and that's all, you had to do mental gymnastics to even write one sentence to write. You groaned and just wrote whatever's floating into mind and called in your maid to deliver the letter. In the end, you just wrote that he's crazy and he should be careful.

 "My lady, here are the new letters addressed to you." Another maid entered, showing tons of letters in a silver platter. At first you thought it was over the top but now you didn't mind, instead your focus was on the white envelope. It had camouflaged itself good from the other white envelopes but you saw that it has simple golden lining to it's edges, you knew.

 When the maid had placed it on your desk, you immediately went for it and looked. It was sophisticated at best, simple but you could clearly tell it's from someone important. To the dark Royal Blue stamp that has the dragon insignia on it, to the words that showed where it came from. You knew it's from the imperial palace, from the second prince itself, he's the only one who doesn't use over the top envelops that has gems decorating it within the imperial family.

 Here it is, the ball invitation.

 You eagerly opened it, distressed to ruin such a pretty envelope. It made you happy getting an invitation letter to yourself, heck even from the imperial family themselves. It seems like it was written by the Prince himself, considering you're the fiancée of a Duke, someone of high standing that's why he wrote it himself to show respect.

 All you could think was 'Wow, his penmanship is really very pretty.' 

 It's cursive, like Hezekiah and Amadeus' handwriting. But the Prince had a more relaxed lines, it gave you the vibes of flowing water, if that made sense. You wish you have your camera with you, this one is good for those dark academia aesthetic.

 It was short, just a small greeting, the time and date, your name and his signature. He was straightforward and you didn't mind, at least he wasn't overly flattering to the point it came off as fake like the other nobles who invited you to their small gatherings. Somehow this short invitation made you smile.

 "It's best we prepare early, where are the dresses?" It's just a week away and you have many things to prepare, like your lines and acting. Thankfully you remember what vaguely happened and some of the dialogues, roughly of course you do not have photographic memories. Guess you have to rehearse secretly.

 "The designers will be arriving this afternoon my lady, as ordered." It's good that you made the maids gather the best designers in the empire much earlier than possible. There you won't need to rush and decide to your hearts content.

 "Good, help me get ready." You're getting used to ordering people around, this isn't good.

 "As you wish." She bowed. You realized that it was the young maid from before. You remember her name being Sabrina, she's more composed than before. She isn't shaking on her boots anymore, you found yourself staring. Hey, you like their uniform, it's pretty. It's like those Edwardian maids, just a bit more stylish. Novel logic you supposed.

 You watched as she went to prepare the necessary things for your bath, going out of sight. Now that you're alone, you let out a whoop. 

 Your eyes shined, here it is! You're going to meet the female lead next week! You clenched your hands to a fist and pumped them up, not noticing that Sabrina had emerged back and saw you acting like a little kid.

-

I'm just going to embrace my userbame at this point