Chapter 4 - The broken silence.

Nats POV:

Finally back to the house I'm slowly putting things into cupboards while the coffee machine chugs away. The radio quietly playing in the back ground to give me some form of normality, the silence was starting to drive me crazy.

I find myself swaying away gently to the music that fills the room as I fold the bags up before putting them in a spare draw that will inevitably be forgotten when I next go shopping.

Cupping my mug I strut over to my sofa flicking the TV on as I open my bag of snacks giving in to the first movie that has flickered onto the screen.

_________________

*Wheels screeching*

The sound instantly pulls me from the slumber I had fallen into, the house is dark the TV screen is the only thing lighting the room. Climbing to my feet I walk over to the window as I see smoke coming from down the street, I quickly run over to my shoes shoving them on my feet as I sprint out of the door towards the car that has collided with a tree. I stop for a second taking in the scene before me, no one else is out of their house yet.

Running over to the car the bonnet is dented inwards by the tree, the windows leaving scattered glass everywhere,  I look through the window seeing a man leaning on the steering wheel making the horn echo through the usually silent night.

Instantly I tug at the door unable to move it, putting my hand through the window I check for a pulse as people start filtering out of there properties standing at their picket white fences.

"Phone an Ambulance!" I shout over to them

"They are already on their way" One man shouts as he ventures out of the gate towards us.

I rip my jacket off wrapping it around my arm, using my now covered elbow I slam it into the back window multiple times until the glass ruptures into a thousand pieces.

"What are you doing?" the man asks with a tremor in his voice 

"Helping him, he's not breathing in the position he's in." I snap back as I pull the back door open climbing through the back door into the front trying to maneuver around the large shards of glass everywhere.
I carefully support his neck as I lean him back against the seat, my hands on either side of his head the blood from his wound trickles down my hands as I hear a slight gasp come from his mouth.

"Good breath." I say his eyes rolls open looking around "I'm Natas- I'm Natalie. You've been in a car accident help is on the way but I am going to need you to stay still until they arrive."

"Wha-?" the stunned man gasps out

That's when it hit me the smell of alcohol on his breath, I look down seeing a broken bourbon bottle at his feet I shake my head "You're drunk, how much have you had to drink?" I question.

"Nothin' " he slurs out

Blue lights start bouncing off the houses as it gets closer the sound getting louder on it approaches.

"Is-is he ok?" The man from before asks.

I look over to the concerned man letting out a soft smile "He will be." I reassure him as the wounded man grunts.

The blue lights screech onto the scene, I hear a voice telling people to go back into their houses and the man from before is ushered back to a safe area.
As another face appears at the window, I smile at her as she takes in the bleeding man between us "Sheriff, how nice of you to finally join us." I let out a little chuckle.

"I wasn't expecting to see you so soon." She quips back "Are you ok there? I can take over until the ambulance arrives." her eyes bounce between my awkwardly sat body and my hands keeping the mans head upright.