Chapter 3

As Emily and Hazel got to the house, the day was coming to a close, with the sun already starting to set

As Emily and Hazel got to the house, the day was coming to a close, with the sun already starting to set. Her first task was to put the horses back into the stable, but the entire time she couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. Before entering the house, she decided to check the entire property meticulously, ensuring there was no one lurking around.

Filled with fear and terror, she finally went inside. The adrenaline from the unnerving experience kept her paralyzed in the hallway for what felt like an eternity. Gradually, her mind started racing, trying to make sense of the encounter she had just experienced. The questions that flooded her thoughts were a mix of confusion and paranoia. It all kept echoing in her mind. She started pacing up and down the hallway.

Why did the figure call my name? Why did it say 'now' and what was with that second yell?! What in the fresh hell was that? And the nod... was that a message? Is someone trying to tell me something? Maybe it's dad, trying to communicate from beyond? Ugh, no, that's just crazy talk, right? Why would I be scared if it were him? Ugh, I need something to calm my nerves.

She quickly headed for the kitchen. And there it was, in the middle of the kitchen counter, dad's scotch, his favourite - the one that both she and her mother had refrained from touching since his passing. With a mixture of hesitation and nostalgia, she reached for the bottle, only to find it coated in a layer of dust accumulated over the years. Carefully, she lifted the bottle, and as she did, a cloud of dust filled the air, a poignant reminder of the passage of time. She poured herself a drink, but the warmth of the liquid did little to ease her troubled mind.

I feel like someone's playing mind games, messing with my head. – and then it hit her.

The voice! The voice was different! Last night it was definitely a man, but today, it was a woman. But... What does that mean? Are there multiple people involved? Is this some sort of sick game they're playing with me? 

She kept pacing up and down the kitchen. The paranoia started getting to her, and she couldn't help but wonder if more of them are coming for her.

Am I going crazy? Is it all in my head? Or is there really someone out there trying to scare me? Maybe I should contact the authorities; that might be the best thing to do. But not now. I need to gather my thoughts, have a plan, and do it tomorrow.

She hoped that the fear and confusion would subside by tomorrow, or she just needed time to gather her thoughts and emotions before taking action.

I just hope I can make it through the night without losing my mind. I need answers, I need to know who's behind all of this, and I need to put an end to it. Tomorrow. 

She finally sat down on the kitchen floor, leaned her head on the wall and closed her eyes.

"Yes, tomorrow," she repeated aloud, as if trying to convince herself to go through with this new plan.